Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports Discussion

(10-16-2019, 01:49 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 12:27 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Thing about great hitters is they still fail 7/10 times. A hot pitcher can put an entire team into a slump. 

In the playoffs whats more important than simply "good" hitting is timely hitting. A guy goes 3 for 4 and the 3 hits are with the bases empty and 2 out its meaningless. A guy goes 1 for 5 with 3 strikeouts but his one hit is a double with two guys on base in the 8th inning to tie the game its night and day.

Thats why Jeter was so great. A-roid might have had 50 HRs and 150 RBIs during the regular season while Jeter would have barely half those numbers. Guess who I want at the plate in the playoffs with a gun to my head?

Jeter every time.

I also love that Harper leaves the Nats for Philthadelphia and the first year hes gone they go to the World Series. Just shows how overrated paying the farm for position players is. I had to listen to every drooling imbecile in Philly all spring about how they are going to the playoffs because they got Harper. I would NEVER pay that kind of money for a bat. You could pay 3 or 4 solid bats and back end starters or bullpen guys for his money and be better off.

300 Million for a .276 lifetime hitter whos had 100 RBIs exactly TWICE in 9 years in the league. Christ at least A-roid was putting up video game numbers for his contracts. This guy is a middle of the road star at best. But nobody deserves him more than the idiot fans in Philly. You have to live in the area and interact with these mongoloids to truly get the measure of how fucking stupid they are. Literally the dumbest fanbase of anywhere in the country.
A fan eating horse crap on live TV after the Eagles won was all I needed to see to know this, even though there have been countless other examples prior to.
Agreed on the massive amount of money for a position player, unless you are Mike Trout. You cannot deny his all-time greatness. Yes...ALL-TIME.

Kris Bryant was in line for a Harper type contract, until this year. That is. It makes me glad that the Sox lost out on Machado. They have a young nucleus of great, cost effective hitters right now that they don't need him. We sign Cole in the offseason, Giolito, Kopech and Rodon come back healthy. The Sox are going to start competing next year. Not saying World Series, but here in Chicago, you can clearly see the trend graph has reversed itself. The Cubs are heading down (again), while the Sox are on the up.
Jeter was a great clutch hitter. Not the greatest defensive shortstop, but still pretty good. I'd have loved him on my team.

Jeter was in the top third of Shortstops defensively for most of his career. The last few years he was definitely not but he was an institution at that point and there was no way they were moving him. He should have won the MVP in 06.

And yea, Trout is a legitimate HOF player and at least 3 or 4 levels above Harper. They irony being that Trout is from the Philly area and is a huge Philly sports fan and goes to Eagles games all the time.

Great article about Trout and Jeter:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2749...er-captain

Im amazed ESPN is still capable of creating interesting content that is actually related to sports.

(10-17-2019, 08:16 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(10-16-2019, 01:49 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: A fan eating horse crap on live TV after the Eagles won was all I needed to see to know this, even though there have been countless other examples prior to.
Agreed on the massive amount of money for a position player, unless you are Mike Trout. You cannot deny his all-time greatness. Yes...ALL-TIME.

Kris Bryant was in line for a Harper type contract, until this year. That is. It makes me glad that the Sox lost out on Machado. They have a young nucleus of great, cost effective hitters right now that they don't need him. We sign Cole in the offseason, Giolito, Kopech and Rodon come back healthy. The Sox are going to start competing next year. Not saying World Series, but here in Chicago, you can clearly see the trend graph has reversed itself. The Cubs are heading down (again), while the Sox are on the up.
Jeter was a great clutch hitter. Not the greatest defensive shortstop, but still pretty good. I'd have loved him on my team.

Jeter was in the top third of Shortstops defensively for most of his career. The last few years he was definitely not but he was an institution at that point and there was no way they were moving him. He should have won the MVP in 06.

And yea, Trout is a legitimate HOF player and at least 3 or 4 levels above Harper. They irony being that Trout is from the Philly area and is a huge Philly sports fan and goes to Eagles games all the time.

Im amazed ESPN is still capable of creating interesting content that is actually related to sports.
Top THIRD yes, not top 3 if that is what you were trying to say. One of the knocks I have against Jeter is his selective effort at the position. He was a black hole when it came to grabbing balls in his range, but he never made a lot of effort to try to make the super plays that guys like Tejada, Viszquel, and Nomar made. That said, though he was smart about his positioning and was always in the right spot to make the right play without needing to go all out. Don't bring up the bloody nose play. That was a great play, but it's not like he has a collection of those. I'm not knocking him at all. Like I said, he's great and deserves all the accolades he gets. Edit: Actually, I think I would put him near top 3, maybe 5 when taking into account all around play. Viszquel couldn't hit. Tejada was roidy, and Nomar flashed out pretty quick due to injuries. Jeter was always a very good hitter, and he was consistently very good his entire career. Plus, the trim he was slaying is pretty legendary...

I almost compare him in regards to playing his position to Ryne Sandberg. Sandberg is considered an all time great second baseman, but he never chased after balls that were elite caliber defining. Jeter was sort of the same way, but again, he positioned himself well. Sandberg let a lot of balls go by him. Lookup how Joe Morgan feels about Sandberg...

Trout is at least 40 or 50 levels above Harper. Trout will go down as one of the greatest players ever to play the game. Like, Ruth, Musial, Mays, Gehrig, Mantle, and Williams level tier. Not saying he'll put up numbers like them, but if you take into account analytics and the way the game is played today vs. then, he makes a strong case for being in that talk. He is FAR AND ABOVE better than every position player in baseball right now and it's not really even close...

(10-17-2019, 02:14 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 08:16 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Jeter was in the top third of Shortstops defensively for most of his career. The last few years he was definitely not but he was an institution at that point and there was no way they were moving him. He should have won the MVP in 06.

Top THIRD yes, not top 3 if that is what you were trying to say. One of the knocks I have against Jeter is his selective effort at the position. He was a black hole when it came to grabbing balls in his range, but he never made a lot of effort to try to make the super plays that guys like Tejada, Viszquel, and Nomar made. That said, though he was smart about his positioning and was always in the right spot to make the right play without needing to go all out. Don't bring up the bloody nose play. That was a great play, but it's not like he has a collection of those. I'm not knocking him at all. Like I said, he's great and deserves all the accolades he gets. Edit: Actually, I think I would put him near top 3, maybe 5 when taking into account all around play. Viszquel couldn't hit. Tejada was roidy, and Nomar flashed out pretty quick due to injuries. Jeter was always a very good hitter, and he was consistently very good his entire career. Plus, the trim he was slaying is pretty legendary...

I almost compare him in regards to playing his position to Ryne Sandberg. Sandberg is considered an all time great second baseman, but he never chased after balls that were elite caliber defining. Jeter was sort of the same way, but again, he positioned himself well. Sandberg let a lot of balls go by him. Lookup how Joe Morgan feels about Sandberg...

Trout is at least 40 or 50 levels above Harper. Trout will go down as one of the greatest players ever to play the game. Like, Ruth, Musial, Mays, Gehrig, Mantle, and Williams level tier. Not saying he'll put up numbers like them, but if you take into account analytics and the way the game is played today vs. then, he makes a strong case for being in that talk. He is FAR AND ABOVE better than every position player in baseball right now and it's not really even close...

Jeter was Cal Ripken tier at SS. Not spectacular but workman like. And yes I meant top third in the league meaning there were probably 10 or so SS in the league that were objectively better than him defensively. He did however win multiple Gold Gloves. The main issue was his range. As you said balls in his range were lights out but he was never a defensive wizard.

But at his position, a slight sacrifice on defense was more than made up for with his offense. SS, 2B, C, and CF are purely defensive positions. So if you have even a slightly below average defensive player at one of those positions who hits well you are ahead of the game. Rey Ordonez was the best devensive SS since Ozzie Smith and the Mets were fine with him hitting .220 with 3 HRs a year.

Mike Piazza was average at best behind the plate even in his prime. But he was such an incredible hitter nobody cared. 

As far as Trout goes, Im gonna hold off on putting him on par with Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and Lou Gehrig for right now.......lol.