Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pumping Iron etc

Took advice and went to Dr and got testosterone checked again and was 985 at 7 am. I'm 39, 5' 11" 160 with a gut and have gotten soft as shit.

I have finally cut enough to start building, IMO. I have 8lbs JYM Protein sans soy and plan on going 2 scoops with milk x2 a day and that's about it.

I eat clean'ish and can eat same shit every day for years as some of you know. I will probably revert back to steel cut oats in the morning with a little brown sugar and cream. That's about it. Willing to take whatever advice equipment, regimen, supplements, diet, cardio, form, EVERYTHING. Right down to the prescription of what,  how much and when. Let me be your muse. I know there is a couple gym heads and some sports players who've been there done this.

I just want to be able to be strong again and feel good and never done free weights and was always a crossfitter who could just perform and never felt the urge to get a "beach body". I'm straight edge sober so now is the time. I will be sedentary from 9-5 but before and afterwards sky is the limit.

Lay it on me, my body is ready; well maybe not my wrists, my wrists skinny as fuck and I fucked one up skateboarding the other day like an asshole.

(08-06-2019, 11:26 AM)SkiMask Wrote: Took advice and went to Dr and got testosterone checked again and was 985 at 7 am. I'm 39, 5' 11" 160 with a gut and have gotten soft as shit.

I have finally cut enough to start building, IMO. I have 8lbs JYM Protein sans soy and plan on going 2 scoops with milk x2 a day and that's about it.

I eat clean'ish and can eat same shit every day for years as some of you know. I will probably revert back to steel cut oats in the morning with a little brown sugar and cream. That's about it. Willing to take whatever advice equipment, regimen, supplements, diet, cardio, form, EVERYTHING. Right down to the prescription of what,  how much and when. Let me be your muse. I know there is a couple gym heads and some sports players who've been there done this.

I just want to be able to be strong again and feel good and never done free weights and was always a crossfitter who could just perform and never felt the urge to get a "beach body". I'm straight edge sober so now is the time. I will be sedentary from 9-5 but before and afterwards sky is the limit.

Lay it on me, my body is ready; well maybe not my wrists, my wrists skinny as fuck and I fucked one up skateboarding the other day like an asshole.

Well, we know Mack will be here shortly with his recommendations to Eat Clen and Tren Hard.

160 with a gut at 5'11"? Jesus you must be a stick elsewhere.

Remember that your supplements are there to SUPPLEMENT, not replace your diet. Get most of your Macros (Protein, Fat and Carbs) from real food.

Get 1 to 1.5 g DAILY of protein per weight, so around 200g. It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. An 8 oz piece of chicken has about 50g of protein.
Carbs are about 1.5 to 2g daily, and Fats about .5g per weight daily. you'll probably push close to 3K calories, but your goal is to add muscle mass, and if eating clean you won't get fat, you'll actually lean out fat wise, but put on muscle. Your body will make great use of it.

Supplements I use Pre-Kaged Preworkout, MicroPure Whey Isolate, and Kaged Creatine HCl. I use nothing but Kaged Muscle Products, even when I get other supps like citrulline, etc. But those are not necessary. The 3 I mentioned are all you NEED, but if you want to add something else, I would go with an IntraWorkout drink (I use InKaged), though Water will be fine. JYM is also good stuff.

Don't avoid Carbs and Fats; just eat the right ones. Avoid foods that cause inflammation (that means dairy, processed meats, breads/simple carbs, refined sugars, and fruits, except for berries-eat those). Eat LEAN proteins like chicken breast, turkey breast, cod and lean meat like flank steak or 96/4 ground beef. Season with salt pepper and other things not sugar oriented like Cayenne and herbs. Eat Fatty healthy fish like tuna and salmon for your omega 3s. Nuts like raw almonds and walnuts are also great for the healthy fats. if you're going to cook proteins in oil, use olive and remember the smoke point. Not Extra Virgin, but just regular olive oil. Fish Oil pills are also a good source of healthy fats.

Eat complex carbs, like old fashioned oats, sweet potatoes, brown rice, etc. These type of carbs will give you energy to push through workouts and won't be burned quickly. They'll also keep you full.

Veggies make sure you eat the cruciferous ones like broccoli, spinach etc, but you can also eat tons of other veggies.  

Pay close attention to the foods I said to avoid. You're going to be in a lot of pain; don't add to it with inflammatory foods. Avoid processed foods and sugary drinks like the plague. Mix your protein with water instead of milk.

As for a weight program, there I really can't help you because it's up to you; your pain tolerance and need to recover.

I would stick to an old school methodology to start, then fine tune it from there. Old school meaning Back/Bi's one day, chest/tris another day, Shoulders/Abs another, and legs separately, Be prepared; your first leg day is going to murder you and you will be in pain for a week; that is totally normal.

Do your compound lifts first, then isolation lifts second (ex: do bench press before doing flyes) Stick to a hypertrophy type of lift program. 3 sets of 10-12 reps and make sure you are using a weight where you can get to those reps and the last 1 or 2 cause you a struggle. If you can't make it to that rep range, drop the weight. If you can blow past that, then add more. Don't worry about more advanced work like pyramids, supersets and dropsets until you get a routine established.

Two things I also recommend and stress are stretching and rest. Make sure you take time to stretch before and after, and make sure you add rest days to your routing. Do not overtrain ind injure yourself. also, DO NOT sling around heavy weight to prove something. You will injure yourself. Concentrate on your form and getting a good mind-muscle connection. Really concentrate on the muscle group you are working on. Example, when you reach the top of your movement on the bench press, concentrate mentally on squeezing your pecs, like you're flexing them. Same with all other exercises. Your there to work your pecs, not your back or shoulders, right? Hope that makes sense.

However many protein shakes you decide to take in is up to you, but make sure you get one in right after you lift. It helps to extend the time you go catabolic (where your body will actually use muscle fiber and protein for energy).

Other than that, not much to tell you. I'd go to bodybuilding.com and look at specific lift programs and exercises. There are some world class dudes on there, like Lee Labrada, Kris Gethin, and your JYM guy, Dr. Jim Stoppani.

(08-06-2019, 01:30 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 11:26 AM)SkiMask Wrote: I'm 39, 5' 11" 160 with a gut

160 with a gut at 5'11"? Jesus you must be a stick elsewhere.

Yeah, that doesn't compute. I mean, I believe you, JT...but I'm having trouble imagining that kind of physique.

(08-06-2019, 01:50 PM)hitman Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 01:30 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: 160 with a gut at 5'11"? Jesus you must be a stick elsewhere.
Yeah, that doesn't compute. I mean, I believe you, JT...but I'm having trouble imagining that kind of physique.
I have chicken legs with massive calves because I walk on my toes and always have. My arms and biceps are almost the same circumference as my wrists and forearms and that should tell you everything you need to know to visualize my physique.

The gut would be gone if I actually did a crunch or three. Hell, I dropped 10 pounds last week just quitting smoking.

I think I'm the type where people complain that I should eat more or whatever but are just jealous of my metabolism. I'm weak as fuck and that hurts more than having a 14 year old's body. Again, I was one them little guys that US Navy Admiral McRaven went on about when talking about making his rack everyday except I'm just short of six feet.

Thanks again for the specificity (I really mean that) and I will put it to good use. And don't worry I don't have that ego to injure as I am a former Marine confident I will succeed. Nothing to prove to anyone but myself that I can perform the moves correctly before I slowly add on the weight.

(08-06-2019, 01:50 PM)hitman Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 01:30 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: 160 with a gut at 5'11"? Jesus you must be a stick elsewhere.

Same. I'm 5'10 183 now (down about 40 from march) and my gut is close to gone at this point. 

I disagree with needing carbs but I'm also not trying to bulk up yet.  Also eating carbs and fat at the same time means your body is going to store that fat as opposed having them in different meals, keep that in mind when trying to get the results you want. 

Definitely try to go for things with better Omega 3 profiles. Grass fed beef and butter. Bison. Wild caught salmon and tuna. Pretty much anything wild so if you hook it or shoot it it'll be better. I just caught a bunch of trout lately and if I get up early enough to beat the heat I'll put some more bunnies down which are always super lean. Been getting pork belly instead of bacon. 

Avocado oil is good one to cook with that has a high smoke point. 

Wanting a little bit of sugar in my coffee was one of my weaknesses. And I recently discovered monk fruit so now I've eliminated the sugar too. Shit is kind of pricey but I'm not baking a cake with it so It lasts alright.

(08-06-2019, 06:37 PM)Buchanans Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 01:50 PM)hitman Wrote: Yeah, that doesn't compute. I mean, I believe you, JT...but I'm having trouble imagining that kind of physique.
Same. I'm 5'10 183 now (down about 40 from march) and my gut is close to gone at this point. 
That's some REAL progress brother and definitely worthy of a congratulations. I bet you feel a TON better out in the field doing the hiking and whatnot. Crazy how much that weight makes a difference on just about everything when it comes to visceral fat around the midsection.
(08-06-2019, 06:37 PM)Buchanans Wrote: Definitely try to go for things with better Omega 3 profiles. Grass fed beef and butter. Bison. Wild caught salmon and tuna. Pretty much anything wild so if you hook it or shoot it it'll be better. I just caught a bunch of trout lately and if I get up early enough to beat the heat I'll put some more bunnies down which are always super lean. Been getting pork belly instead of bacon. 

Wanting a little bit of sugar in my coffee was one of my weaknesses. And I recently discovered monk fruit so now I've eliminated the sugar too. Shit is kind of pricey but I'm not baking a cake with it so It lasts alright.
Sugar IS my weakness and one the only vices I have left other than eating total garbage. I love that liquid coffee creamer shit and my coffee looks like butterscotch when I'm done adding it. I also drink about 4 cans of soda a day on the low side. I used to drink upwards of 9 cans a day and even more when I drank alcohol. So that is why I still have a gut. I also love eating a box of sweet tarts in a single sitting. Same with Funyuns and frozen pizza and other stoner shit when I feel like it. Basically I can eat kid food like it's going out of style and why there is still a pudge there.

Now ya'll kinda making feel a tad self conscious and not very humble because I used to come in around 240 and have come along way only to keep up the shitty eating (despite eating 'clean' 85% of the time) and it's no surprise I have lean muscle and nothing of note otherwise. It's my own damn fault for being so sedentary for the past 15 years despite getting out the Corps healthy as fuck. I kicked the booze and that alone got me to lose almost 50 pounds that first year with nary a workout. I fucking HATE exercise, lol. But yeah I mean when I look sideways it don't slime over the underwear line or anything just sorta bloated and...a gut. Even almost a little bit of titty but a few push ups every morning mostly got rid of those and I think that's more of an angle thing than a reality but I digress...

If I actually worked out I would be probably closer to 155 and look like Matt Damon from Courage Under Fire. That is why I know if I just eat right(er) and combine with even the tiniest of exercise I will see some real gains and them abs may rear their ugly heads again. As everyone knows weakness at the midsection starts with abs and the back and I'm proof of that as I can hardly do a reverse pull up but inward gripped ones I can crank out double digits. I got a weak back and slouchy ass shoulders, but if I did some work in those areas I can tell I might look like something carved outta stone.

Thanks also for the tips of the bison and other fruits and I think for the most part sugar is thy enemy—for me. SO no coffee or creamer for that matter and I'm now wondering about cheese...I'm thinking hasselbacked sweet potatoes and chicken will be a main thing as well as vegetable/protein stir-fry just about every night. That apartment I rented is really gonna help too cause I wont have all that kid shit in the house nor will be looking to stuff my face with cheese and crackers at 2 am on a stream bender. Also gonna look into the monk fruit as I'll be in a pretty 'crunchy' area for that sort of thing, but I like the idea of eating blueberries and raspberries by the handfuls but damn if I might not look into a CSA from a farm field because of the high prices of them. I can also eat regular almonds by the handful with ease.

Same with the shakes and whatever else. Thinking of juicing some of these things too as its just easier you'd think but I don't have problems chugging or snacking on them either so who knows? I also will take the advice of removing milk from the shakes and will probably get regular cardio in the form of golf and walking outside on top the regular HIIT stuff I'm all about.

Any other food or exercise tips are always welcomed and appreciated. Jung allowed me to get past the "chick shit" of talking cooking with men versus my old lady. For that I'm truly greatful and blessed to have moved beyond that stubbornness of just being myself around SOCOM'ers despite most of them being absolute human scumbags or pretend to be anyways...

Good on you, fellas. I'm 5'10" and 230 lbs. I don't look like a fatass, but I feel like one.

I'm bookmarking this thread for inspiration.

I am 5'10 170lb

I can't really lift because of lower back issues that until I get addressed are a risk to flare up at any time and I am afraid lifting will tweak it. But I might start doing a little bit soon and see how it responds. What are the best ways to start? I am not looking to get ripped, just toned up. I still have a bit of stomach fat too, best way to eliminate that? I try to stay under 25g of sugar a day. I walk atleast a mile or two a day and use the elliptical a few times a week, but still can't get rid of the excess stomach fat.

(08-06-2019, 09:19 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(08-06-2019, 06:37 PM)Buchanans Wrote: Same. I'm 5'10 183 now (down about 40 from march) and my gut is close to gone at this point. 
That's some REAL progress brother and definitely worthy of a congratulations. I bet you feel a TON better out in the field doing the hiking and whatnot. Crazy how much that weight makes a difference on just about everything when it comes to visceral fat around the midsection.
(08-06-2019, 06:37 PM)Buchanans Wrote: Definitely try to go for things with better Omega 3 profiles. Grass fed beef and butter. Bison. Wild caught salmon and tuna. Pretty much anything wild so if you hook it or shoot it it'll be better. I just caught a bunch of trout lately and if I get up early enough to beat the heat I'll put some more bunnies down which are always super lean. Been getting pork belly instead of bacon. 

Sugar IS my weakness and one the only vices I have left other than eating total garbage. I love that liquid coffee creamer shit and my coffee looks like butterscotch when I'm done adding it. I also drink about 4 cans of soda a day on the low side. I used to drink upwards of 9 cans a day and even more when I drank alcohol. So that is why I still have a gut. I also love eating a box of sweet tarts in a single sitting. Same with Funyuns and frozen pizza and other stoner shit when I feel like it. Basically I can eat kid food like it's going out of style and why there is still a pudge there.

Now ya'll kinda making feel a tad self conscious and not very humble because I used to come in around 240 and have come along way only to keep up the shitty eating (despite eating 'clean' 85% of the time) and it's no surprise I have lean muscle and nothing of note otherwise. It's my own damn fault for being so sedentary for the past 15 years despite getting out the Corps healthy as fuck. I kicked the booze and that alone got me to lose almost 50 pounds that first year with nary a workout. I fucking HATE exercise, lol. But yeah I mean when I look sideways it don't slime over the underwear line or anything just sorta bloated and...a gut. Even almost a little bit of titty but a few push ups every morning mostly got rid of those and I think that's more of an angle thing than a reality but I digress...

If I actually worked out I would be probably closer to 155 and look like Matt Damon from Courage Under Fire. That is why I know if I just eat right(er) and combine with even the tiniest of exercise I will see some real gains and them abs may rear their ugly heads again. As everyone knows weakness at the midsection starts with abs and the back and I'm proof of that as I can hardly do a reverse pull up but outward gripped ones I can crank out double digits. I got a week back and slouchy ass shoulders, but if I did some work in those areas I can tell I might look like something carved outta stone.

Thanks also for the tips of the bison and other fruits and I think for the most part sugar is thy enemy—for me. SO no coffee or creamer for that matter and I'm now wondering about cheese...I'm thinking hasselbacked sweet potatoes and chicken will be a main thing as well as vegetable/protein stir-fry just about every night. That apartment I rented is really gonna help too cause I wont have all that kid shit in the house nor will be looking to stuff my face with cheese and crackers at 2 am on a stream bender. Also gonna look into the monk fruit as I'll be in a pretty 'crunchy' area for that sort of thing, but I like the idea of eating blueberries and raspberries by the handfuls but damn if I might not look into a CSA from a farm field because of the high prices of them. I can also eat regular almonds by the handful with ease.

Same with the shakes and whatever else. Thinking of juicing some of these things too as its just easier you'd think but I don't have problems chugging or snacking on them either so who knows? I also will take the advice of removing milk from the shakes and will probably get regular cardio in the form of golf and walking outside on top the regular HIIT stuff I'm all about.

Any other food or exercise tips are always welcomed and appreciated. Jung allowed me to get past the "chick shit" of talking cooking with men versus my old lady. For that I'm truly greatful and blessed to have moved beyond that stubbornness of just being myself around SOCOM'ers despite most of them being absolute human scumbags or pretend to be anyways...
If you eliminate the sugars and those junk carbs I bet that last little bit will fall off. The sodas need to go. But the coffee can stay, replace the sugar with monk fruit and those flavored creamers with half and half. After a while if you try to go back to the flavored creamers you'll probably think they are disgusting. That's how I am now. 

I definitely feel way better when doing things now. I've always been somewhat active so I carried the weight pretty evenly but for the last couple years would bounce around between 200 and 225. One of the reasons is most of the stuff I was doing was seasonal or not easy enough to do regularly or all year long. Hunting, snowboarding, for example. Hiking close by in the same area becomes boring because you lose the exploration aspect and I can only do the gym for so long working out to metal before I'm bored too. I was also inconsistent with what I ate. Sometimes I'd do good and other times I'd go get shit. 

The first two things I did was to start buying everything I ate from the grocery store and to get into an activity that I found fun, could do close by, and year round. For me that was mountain biking. Getting everything from the store did a couple things. I was way more conscious and controlled about what I purchased basically just bought raw ingredients, not shit like crackers and such.  And because everything I bought needed to be prepared I tended to be much less likely to impulse snack or over eat. I'd often just skip breakfast because I just didn't want to bother making it, this turns out to be a good thing later when I got the sugar out of the coffee. And where I'm at I can mountain bike less then 10 mins away. The area has trails that range from intermediate to crazy drops and rock slabs so no matter how good I get there will ALWAYS be something to progress up to. I started off on a friends old Specialized that I bought for cheap and as I've lost weight and gotten much better I had to get a newer bike because the old one was holding me back. I was taking it places it wasn't designed for and I and it were going to get fucked up. 

Being alone for 2 months should really help with your food discipline choices because you won't have anybody else's shit purchases to tempt you. When I was alone those are the times the weight really flew off for me.   

I then was watching some videos of a guy that rides a lot of the local trails around here. One of his vids was about something called OMAD... what the fuck is that a trail name. Nope. One meal a day. Well that sounds fucking terrible and unhealthy. But it wasn't what I thought it was he wasn't eating reduced calories he was just eating all his calories in one sitting because it burned more fat. It was just a more intense version of intermittent fasting, well i've heard of that, but whats that. Just not eating for a 16 hour period of more... so skipping breakfast and adding those calories to lunch and dinner, or cutting them if you need to.? Well hell I can do that in fact I do sometimes... wait I can't have sugar or cream in my coffee? Ok that could be a problem but I gave it a shot. 

So I did black coffee in the morning. Which it turns out I really prefer to have some sort of sweetener in there. Which lead me to hear about monk fruit. So I'm going to put some weird fruit in my coffee? Nope it was supposed to be a zero calorie zero glycimic 1:1 natural sugar substitute... that didn't have a shit aftertaste. If this is true how have I not heard about this? It probably sucks. Anyways I went to  whole foods and paid their rip off price to try it. Opened the bag, licked my finger and dipped it in to try it. Ummm... damn that's pretty good. OK wait for some bad after taste... hmm nothing. 

From there tweeked my diet more to get where I'm at currently. Still a little bit more to go but not much now.

Oh man, I can't wait for MACK to see this thread....