Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pumping Iron etc

(08-30-2019, 07:30 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Agree with Mack here. Work your way up to strenuous cardio sessions. Start small, like a good hike, brisk walk, etc. and work your way up to a run or bike. Also, stay with steady state cardio once you get to that point instead of doing HIIT. Interval cardio is best for weight loss, and that's not what you're trying to do. Steady state will help you increase your VO2 max over HIIT, which is basically the maximum amount of oxygen your body can use. When you lift and it burns, it's due to a lactic acid build up and a lack of oxygen, so you huff and puff when you're done and build up your oxygen stores for round 2, 3, etc. The more steady state cardio you do (Running, bike), the more you build up your VO2 max, which means less huffing and puffing during lift sessions. HIIT is great for explosiveness and weight loss, but it doesn't build endurance. Longer HIIT sessions come from building your endurance doing steady state.

Plus, if you are going to hit the weights hard, combining with HIIT will kill you. You'll overtrain, plateau, and injure yourself.
Gotcha. HIIT has always been a cop out for me anyways and as much as I love it, I'm gonna try and stay out my element and do the free weights and machines.

Turns out there is a Lifetime Fitness (Flatirons-CO) right snack dab next to my apartment as well as Omni-Interlocken golf resort right behind my place. I also have a Safeway, AMC, mall, Walmart, Walgreens within a few minutes walking.

90° today at noon with high 70s in morning and at night, zero humidity. Paradise save for traffic and weirdos.

Enrolled and toured the gym yesterday and the place is friggin amazing. Diamond level facility at Onxy level pricing. They have zero impact running machines, steam, stretch area, balance machines, battle ropes xfit area, hot yoga room, pilates, the whole kitten caboodle.

Barely anyone there and like almost zero kids 4am to 12am x7. With a 9 am start 5 minutes away I'm living in a dream bro. Miss the fam don't get me wrong  but I'm set up proper and only have myself to blame if I don't find success here.

(09-01-2019, 03:22 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(08-30-2019, 07:30 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Agree with Mack here. Work your way up to strenuous cardio sessions. Start small, like a good hike, brisk walk, etc. and work your way up to a run or bike. Also, stay with steady state cardio once you get to that point instead of doing HIIT. Interval cardio is best for weight loss, and that's not what you're trying to do. Steady state will help you increase your VO2 max over HIIT, which is basically the maximum amount of oxygen your body can use. When you lift and it burns, it's due to a lactic acid build up and a lack of oxygen, so you huff and puff when you're done and build up your oxygen stores for round 2, 3, etc. The more steady state cardio you do (Running, bike), the more you build up your VO2 max, which means less huffing and puffing during lift sessions. HIIT is great for explosiveness and weight loss, but it doesn't build endurance. Longer HIIT sessions come from building your endurance doing steady state.

Plus, if you are going to hit the weights hard, combining with HIIT will kill you. You'll overtrain, plateau, and injure yourself.
Gotcha. HIIT has always been a cop out for me anyways and as much as I love it, I'm gonna try and stay out my element and do the free weights and machines.

Turns out there is a Lifetime Fitness (Flatirons-CO) right snack dab next to my apartment as well as Omni-Interlocken golf resort right behind my place. I also have a Safeway, AMC, mall, Walmart, Walgreens within a few minutes walking.

90° today at noon with high 70s in morning and at night, zero humidity. Paradise save for traffic and weirdos.

Enrolled and toured the gym yesterday and the place is friggin amazing. Diamond level facility at Onxy level pricing. They have zero impact running machines, steam, stretch area, balance machines, battle ropes xfit area, hot yoga room, pilates, the whole kitten caboodle.

Barely anyone there and like almost zero kids 4am to 12am x7. With a 9 am start 5 minutes away I'm living in a dream bro. Miss the fam don't get me wrong  but I'm set up proper and only have myself to blame if I don't find success here.

Those places are great for picking up trim too. Might as well take advantage of the old lady not being around. Them Colorado chicks are loose as hell. Nothing like bagging some ditzy 24 year old yoga instructor who likes to get choked out and Donkey Punched while her head is in the toilet.

Just enjoy yourself out there bro.

And remember, always give these bitches a fake name. They cant track you down for child support if they dont even know your fuckin name.

What is a zero impact running machine? Hows that work?
And any of these gyms allows kids 10 and up to use things. My daughter would like to go without having to go in the "baby" room as she calls it.

(09-01-2019, 07:48 PM)Buchanans Wrote: What is a zero impact running machine? Hows that work?
And any of these gyms allows kids 10 and up to use things. My daughter would like to go without having to go in the "baby" room as she calls it.
Dunno, I'm still laughing at what Mack wrote. 

I looked at like 5 of them in a corner with nobody using them. It's like a cradle and you start like your gonna run but it moves with you so your not actually pounding on the floor or a conveyor belt. Looks rad IMO and I'll probably take advantage of it in the coming weeks along with all the other shit.

Top of the line all around.

They had friggin stretch machines I never seen before and I got a stinger in my shoulder blade just from the 14 hour drive so I haven't dived in except for a steam and a dip in the hot water lagoon pool thing oh and a message from down the road too. Think I'm gonna pick up one them roller pad things with the nubbins to work out my kinks and bad shoulder posture.

From the few kids I did see, they were kinda just doing shit together like playing basketball or swimming in the pool outside and this place has a tennis court on the roof for fucks sake so tbh I was taking in all that plus the high quality roast beef in skin tight moose nuckle huggers and didn't really see a kids ball pit or whatever.

I know they have one somewhere. Hell, you could go into one of like 4 studios and just jam with all the state of the art equipment. It was unreal. I was about to start fucking with the AV and thought better of it.

I'll look into the age range and report back though for sure.

(09-03-2019, 12:01 AM)SkiMask Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 07:48 PM)Buchanans Wrote: What is a zero impact running machine? Hows that work?
Dunno, I'm still laughing at what Mack wrote. 

I looked at like 5 of them in a corner with nobody using them. It's like a cradle and you start like your gonna run but it moves with you so your not actually pounding on the floor or a conveyor belt. Looks rad IMO and I'll probably take advantage of it in the coming weeks along with all the other shit.

They had friggin stretch machines I never seen before and I got a stinger in my shoulder blade just from the 14 hour drive so I haven't dived in except for a steam and a dip in the hot water lagoon pool thing oh and a message from down the road too. Think I'm gonna pick up one them roller pad things with the nubbins to work out my kinks and bad shoulder posture.

From the few kids I did see, they were kinda just doing shit together like playing basketball or swimming in the pool outside and this place has a tennis court on the roof for fucks sake so tbh I was taking in all that plus the high quality roast beef in skin tight moose nuckle huggers and didn't really see a kids ball pit or whatever.

I know they have one somewhere. Hell, you could go into one of like 4 studios and just jam with all the state of the art equipment. It was unreal. I was about to start fucking with the AV and thought better of it.

Its supposedly to reduce strain on females moreso than men. Because of the angle of their femur their is more strain and pressure put on the ligaments and tendons in their knees.

Im sure there some science behind it but its all rats in a cage hampster wheel bullshit to me. I have yet to understand how anyone would pay money to use a machine to run in place when we live on a giant planet with all sorts of places to run. Im a less is more guy.

As someone who has spent time in jail. I can say from personal experience that push ups, pull ups, burpees, and using a rolled up mattress as a punching bag got me in better shape than any of these ridiculous contraptions they come up with. And thats not even taking nutrition into account. Good luck finding any clean protien in jail. I was eating purple bologna and ramen and I came out a brick shithouse.

I also am just a bodyweight guy. Heavy weights tighten you up and take away flexibility. Pull ups stretch you out as well as build muscle. I just personally "feel" better with bodyweight stuff. I was never really a max out guy weight wise but for a time I was obsessed with getting to a 300lb bench press. The process of getting there and just the way it changed my body and approach to every other aspect of my physique I just wasnt happy with. My agility and flexibility just felt off. I boxed and trained in martial arts my whole life and for me being lithe and quick just feels better than being built like a linebacker.

Everyones different of course, but for a middle aged guy just looking to get in shape I think you might be over thinking your approach. Like I said, I saw guys in jail who came in looking like slobs and after 6 months of basic bodyweight shit looked like boxers.

Also. Diet. Diet. Diet.

Very simple. A double Whopper with cheese is about 1000 calories.

You would probably have to run 10 miles to burn that off.

So just dont eat the Whopper. Easy peasy. Same goes on a macro scale even dealing with clean proteins. Jung is expert level in his advise, but you dont need to go that crazy with the suppliments. Skip breakfast, and than have a protein bar/shake for lunch and then some thing like a single grilled chicken breast and broccoli for dinner.

Jung needs a gram of protein per pound because of his routine. The guy is obviously a physical specimen. You can just eat smarter and do some bodyweight shit and be where you want to be. Youre at a tricky age because all the protein/lb and advanced shit isnt going to yeild you any better results than just running Test and eating clean.

(08-25-2019, 02:40 PM)SkiMask Wrote: I am a believer now with the cast iron. 

Up at this little thing on the Gun Flint Trail and sure enough there was one these old things 9 inches or so and about 40 years old and man did it ever deliver on all your promises and more! 

Wish I could say the same for stainless. 

Fuck that shit, but I am determined to learn it regardless. Chain mail or whatever is a must with that shit. Yeah, ribeyes came out flawless with eggs and toast and I used some tinfoil to scrape off the bits with hot water and presto! Hell yeah I'm getting one of these for sure. 

I picked up some grass fed top sirloins (co op ran out the others) and while they weren't quite the same, they were also tasty with a nice sear top and bottom with about 5 min a side. I can't believe I waited this long to go outside my comfort zone in the kitchen. Lavendar Le Cruisset Dutch oven I see ya boy...

Back to the rouitne and regimen talk has me wondering about multiple sessions per day of intense lifting etc. Do I just wake up at 0500 and do the shake, hit the gym for an hour, take a steam, shower, head to work, THEN do other activities (intermediate/easy cardio like golf, hiking, etc) in the evening before and after dinner or...

Light training in the a.m. (pushups, pullups, sit ups, plyometric HIIT, etc) then do the heavy lifting in the evening? Taken into account I've busted my rust and am not sore anymore from the simplest of shits. I know Jung (and anyone here please chime in) you workout smack dab in the middle of the day at work, but how would you approach this type of training in my situation? 

I've seen many talk on overusage or burning out, breaking down muscle if there isn't adequate rest (beyond 7-9 hours a night sleep) and you don't take days off etc. I'd like to think as long as I start with low amounts of weight and just go through the range of motions to get familiar then ramp up the pounds over a month and stick to a heavier overall load so to speak I'll be fine.

Thoughts?

ALL proteins are best cooked in cast iron. Period.

The only exceptions are light seafood and shellfish. Some might say a tuna or salmon steak should be done on stainless but I disagree. I cook fluke and breaded cod in a stainless with extra oil only because they dry out quickly and I dont really like a sear on those cuts. But for any other protein cast iron is the gold standard.

(09-03-2019, 02:58 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 12:01 AM)SkiMask Wrote: Dunno, I'm still laughing at what Mack wrote. 

Its supposedly to reduce strain on females moreso than men. Because of the angle of their femur their is more strain and pressure put on the ligaments and tendons in their knees.

Im sure there some science behind it but its all rats in a cage hampster wheel bullshit to me. I have yet to understand how anyone would pay money to use a machine to run in place when we live on a giant planet with all sorts of places to run. Im a less is more guy.

As someone who has spent time in jail. I can say from personal experience that push ups, pull ups, burpees, and using a rolled up mattress as a punching bag got me in better shape than any of these ridiculous contraptions they come up with. And thats not even taking nutrition into account. Good luck finding any clean protien in jail. I was eating purple bologna and ramen and I came out a brick shithouse.

I also am just a bodyweight guy. Heavy weights tighten you up and take away flexibility. Pull ups stretch you out as well as build muscle. I just personally "feel" better with bodyweight stuff. I was never really a max out guy weight wise but for a time I was obsessed with getting to a 300lb bench press. The process of getting there and just the way it changed my body and approach to every other aspect of my physique I just wasnt happy with. My agility and flexibility just felt off. I boxed and trained in martial arts my whole life and for me being lithe and quick just feels better than being built like a linebacker.

Everyones different of course, but for a middle aged guy just looking to get in shape I think you might be over thinking your approach. Like I said, I saw guys in jail who came in looking like slobs and after 6 months of basic bodyweight shit looked like boxers.

Also. Diet. Diet. Diet.

So just dont eat the Whopper. Easy peasy. Same goes on a macro scale even dealing with clean proteins. Jung is expert level in his advise, but you dont need to go that crazy with the suppliments. Skip breakfast, and than have a protein bar/shake for lunch and then some thing like a single grilled chicken breast and broccoli for dinner.

Jung needs a gram of protein per pound because of his routine. The guy is obviously a physical specimen. You can just eat smarter and do some bodyweight shit and be where you want to be. Youre at a tricky age because all the protein/lb and advanced shit isnt going to yeild you any better results than just running Test and eating clean.

Definitely not a physical specimen, I'm at around 18% BF right now. I'll never get single digit, but I'm not trying to. 
I agree with you on that the fact that you do not need a ton of supps though, which is why I say, a good whey isolate, preworkout and creatine. The trick with creatine though is that you need to be a receptor. Not everyone gets the effect from creatine. I'm lucky to be a receptor, but even I don't take it all the time. In fact, I haven't taken it in 3 months, and before that, it had been about 2 years. Just depends on what I am trying to do. I offer up the other supps like casein more for caloric intake than anything, but it does help with muscle building and recovery while you sleep. Glutamine, BCAA's, etc., aren't necessary. Whey, and preworkout all all you really need, to be honest. and like I have also mentioned, supplements should only account for 5% of your regimen, most of your macros you should be getting from real food. There is more protein in an 8oz chicken breast than a protein shake. A typical day, when I am eating clean, is something like this:

Breakfast: 3 whole eggs and 4 egg whites scrambled, 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal. Meaning I measure out a 1/2 cup before I cook it.
2 hours later: 8 oz chicken breast, 1 cup of brown rice, 1 cup of riced broccoli.
30 min before workout, 1 scoop Pre-Kaged preworkout
Lift
Immediately after lifting: 1 scoop Kaged MicroPure Whey Isolate and 5g creatine (if I am taking it)
Afternoon meal (2 hours after lift): 8 Oz chicken breast and a sweet potato
Dinner (2 hours after Afternoon meal): 8oz 96/4 burger with dijon mustard. a big pile of mixed greens with lemon juice, and a pile of green beans

I also pound water like it's not gonna be around anymore. If you were to equate the amount of water I drink to the 20 oz bottles, it's around 12 to 15 bottles a day. The oatmeal I use 1 cup of water to cook, and I'll add raw cinnamon and sometimes either a banana or blueberries. Sometimes one of the chicken meals I will switch off with a 6 oz cod filet, and sometimes I will replace the burger with a flank steak or an eye of round. Yes, they are tough if you don't cook them right, but I cook them right, and I put mustard on it. Mind you, I don't do this to every steak I ever cook, but when I am eating regimented like this, I put my food snobbery to the side. The chicken I add lemon pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and oregano. Literally just something to give a bland piece of chicken some bit of flavor.

So if you do a quick count of just protein, I am at around 200-220g a day. I take in a little bit less than a gram to a full gram per lb of body weight. It is very easy to eat like this and not feel like you are stuffing yourself. The water takes a couple days to get used to. You'll be taking a leak every 15 minutes that first day or two, but then your body will adjust and begin using water more efficiently...

(09-03-2019, 07:51 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 02:58 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Its supposedly to reduce strain on females moreso than men. Because of the angle of their femur their is more strain and pressure put on the ligaments and tendons in their knees.

Also. Diet. Diet. Diet.

Definitely not a physical specimen, I'm at around 18% BF right now. I'll never get single digit

Clen, Anavar, and Winstrol will get you there in 6 weeks.

(09-03-2019, 09:23 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 07:51 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Definitely not a physical specimen, I'm at around 18% BF right now. I'll never get single digit

Clen, Anavar, and Winstrol will get you there in 6 weeks.
I guess I should have said I'll never get single digit without the gear...

(09-04-2019, 07:46 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 09:23 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Clen, Anavar, and Winstrol will get you there in 6 weeks.
I guess I should have said I'll never get single digit without the gear...

Nor should you want to. Single digit is not comfortable for an active lifestyle. Its also not aesthetic unless your on gear and even then shred guys just look shitty to me. Winny makes you so vascular and dry that when you are at 8% on that shit it just looks gross and unhealthy.

If I could post pics Id show you what I mean.