Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you get into SOCOM?

I dont remember how I heard about it, but I imagine it was from seeing it in a magazine such as OPM/PSM or Gamepro.

I previously played the PS2 online via a USB adapter for Tony Hawk 3. But I must have heard that the official Sony one was coming out soon with a new shooter, so I remember returning it to Circuit City for the Sony one that plugged into the back of the old fat PS2s.

Anyways, I remember renting SOCOM 1 the week it came out at Blockbuster. I vividly remember asking the clerk where the headset was that came with it. They had no clue so the first week or so I played with no headset. First maps I played were Blizzard and Abandoned. After I returned it, I looked around my area but no store had it, all sold out. I had to go to a Best Buy 20 minutes away to grab the last copy off the shelf. The headset quality was really nothing special when you look at it now, but back then I thought it was incredible.

The rest is history. SOCOM 1 & 2, along with EQOA where my main games I played during my high school gaming days. All of them were gems of games in their own ways and all of them are sadly now unplayable outside of S2 on xlink.

I was a paintball player, and played with around 24 people every other weekend or so. It was getting serious enough that the older guys with refinery jobs were dropping a couple thousand dollars on matching fatigues, electronic triggers, etc. I was monikered "Hitman" because I'd play in cargo pocket khakis and an Adidas hoodie while everyone else was rocking digicam.
Since I didn't have the scratch for all that, I focused on building a website for my squad, and several other guys followed suit.
The day they handed me a 17-page rule book and told me I had to chrono my paintball gun for a backyard scrimmage was the last game I played with that group, and the whole league came apart.

I was on the lookout for another squad-type activity when I saw that PS2 had gotten online capability and a Starsiege Tribes game was available. I bought the game and adapter, but wanted something more tactical. I had played Ghost Recon in splitscreen at a friend's house, and almost picked it up, but the SOCOM box caught my eye. I'll never forget that feeling when I saw the shot of the two SEALs firing rifles in the snow. "Who is Zipper Interactive? Could this game be as fun as it looks on the box?"

While standing in front of the games case at Target, I called a friend who had a PS2, and asked him if he'd be interested in trying the game out. He told me he'd just bought SOCOM and an online adapter the weekend prior but hadn't opened them yet. That was the ticket - I bought it.

[Image: 220px-SOCOM_-_U.S._Navy_SEALs_Coverart.png]

Over the next three weeks, we had recruited five more local guys and a girl. We warred clans on Gamebattles, and I migrated my paintball forum to a new clan site.

[Image: 220px-Socom_2_Box_Art.jpg]

That following summer, I moved into an apartment with a friend, who was also a clan mate (he was eventually my best man). We had a couple of LAN parties in our living room, daisy-chaining several broadband routers. We somehow managed to get 12 SOCOMers online at the same time. 

[Image: 220px-Socom3box.jpg]

When SOCOM 3 came out, my roommate had moved on, and I had my own apartment. The clan fell apart, very slowly. I updated the website with Flash (the new hotness), but the magic was gone. 

I was still a die-hard; I had the Fireteam Bravo games, and played S3 almost every night. It wasn't the best SOCOM, but it was still better than Halo 2, which my new roommate played quite a bit of. 
But, I was less scrupulous than my friends, I guess. 

[Image: 220px-SOCOM_Combined_Assault_cover.jpg]

By the time Combined Assault was released, I had moved to the city and started dating the girl who'd become my wife. I was playing on a nightly basis, but with randos. I mixed it up with a few clans ([H2O] Here 2 Oblivion was the group I played with, the most). I got married...she bought me an Xbox 360 and COD4 for Christmas...and the PS2 was tucked under the bed for the next 12 years.

Funny thing is I got into Socom with no thought at all about online play. I remember reading the details on the first Socom on Amazon cause I was always checking their "coming soon" games for preorder always looking for something new or unique in some way to add to my collection. What stood out to me was talk of having a headset where you could actually command your AI squad to do things and I was a fan of stealth games so it sounded right up my alley and the headset commands sounded like it would be immersive and make the game feel more realistic like you were a Seal team leader in charge of a squad. I saw that it was going to have online play so I preordered Socom and the online adapter about 2 months out from Socoms release date. At the time I was an SP player and thought online sounded gimmicky but I said what the hell, it will just add more depth to my library if I get the network adapter with it and have that option to try Socom as well as future games online just to experience something different then the SP games I always played.

When it arrived I remember playing the SP for about an hour and it didn't grown on me right away , it seemed "OK" but I didn't feel blown away by it the way I had kind of envisioned it to be. I damn near took it in which case I may have put it on the shelf where it likely would have stayed never to be played again since I already had like 400 PS 2 games at that point. But I kind of begrudgingly said "Well, I might as well hook up the network adapter even if just to make sure the damn thing works so I don't try it months from now and find out it doesn't work and then have trouble returning it for a refund from waiting to long". I started off on desert Glory and my first move in the game was to try throw a nade over the broken building as a Seal spawning right side and it killed three people lol. I was like "oh shit this is fucking cool" but would quickly find out it was not going to be easy as after that 3 kill grenade I must have gone like 16 deaths before I finally got another kill. I played for like 20 hours straight and I knew this game was going to be trouble for my personal life, I could already feel the addiction building day one.

Eventually the single player would grow on me to because what would happen is if the server went down for maintenance, or the lobbies were dead early in the morning, or my internet was having connection issues I would just jump on the single player for like a half hour to an hour and then go back and check periodically to see if the online was ready to go. Playing the SP helped me get better at the controls which felt awkward initially and the more I played it the more I wanted to try to complete the missions with the perfect A grade so while online play was the bread and butter I found it to not be to disappointing when online wasn't working for whatever reason and I had to jump on the SP for awhile. It felt like two completely different games where I got to scratch my stealth game itch with the SP and the action game itch with the MP. So had I not tried the MP that first day I sometimes wonder if the online adapter and the game would have just been dust collectors and I would have just had it sitting there never knowing the amazing experience I had missed out on. Cause the thing with me is usually once I have an early impression that a game isn't that great I take it out and I might tell myself "I'll try to give it another chance when I have some time to sit down with it and make an effort to really learn the game and controls" but I never do. I put it on the shelf and forget about it (especially when I had hundreds of options to play in my game library at the time). I'm so glad I made myself get the network adapter out that day and hook it up cause I really didn't want to lol. It's just that when I found time to sit down and play I wanted to play games, not dick around with setting up peripherals. Had I been lazy and not set up the network adapter I may have been hearing people rave about Socom today and just been thinking like "pffft, I tried that game back in the day it wasn't that great" and really would have been lost as to what the Socom hype or buzz was all about.

I was in High School when Socom 1 first came out and I honestly do not remember how purchasing it came about. I am sure I read about it in a magazine or something along those lines.

At the time I did not have high speed internet at home. A good friend of mine had cable internet. So, I used to pack up my PS2 and I spent a lot of weekends at his place gaming till all hours of the morning. We would take turns, I would play a map and then he would play a map.

Socom was like crack, so addicting. I ended up pushing my parents to get high speed internet and they finally got it right around when S2 came out.

I met some of my best friends while playing Socom and I still keep in contact with many of them. A few of us have even met up and went to Boston for the last two years to attend PAX East.

Socom might be dead, but its given me some lifelong friends and a plethora of memories and I think that is why I and so many others are still holding onto hope that one day Socom will make a return.

I got into SOCOM because I remember seeing the cheesey commercial highlighting the headset functionality and was instantly hooked. The thought of talking to my teammates over voice was pretty intriguing at the time. I was just getting into online play at the time with MOH Allied Assault on PC and initially on PS2 with Tony Hawk 3, SOCOM was the next evolution as it was on console and I could get my other real life friends to play.  I believe i was in 9th grade at the time got it for my birthday in August on Day 1.

I remember buying S1 because I thought it would be a cool game to play, and it had a mic with voice commands. I played pretty much offline the entire time, deploying a stealthy approach and taking my sweet time to complete missions without being detected. About 2 months before S2 dropped my friend kept saying that I need to get a network adapter and play it online. So I did, and this was my first experience with online multiplayer gaming. I got completely worked over because of the style switch (Stealthy and slow to well, not stealthy) and I was completely hooked. No games really went into my PS2 for the entirety of the SOCOM series. GTA here and there, and some other games. But without a doubt, SOCOM took up my entire gaming time...

I honestly have no idea how I got into it. I was like 13 years old my mom took me to Gamestop or maybe it was EB games at the time. I seen it my mom bought it for me an i fell in love with it. played for many top teams on what was known at the time as socombattles

Friend bought S1. I played it online at his house in 2002. Spent all of my money to buy a copy with headset and a network adapter. Played online for weeks until I ran into a player named "Sexton Hardcastle" who was super jumping and invincible. I wanted to do the same except everyone was very secretive of the good codes. I learned to hack and here we are.

Still haven't played single player in any SOCOM to this day.

(02-28-2019, 08:20 PM)harry62 Wrote: Friend bought S1. I played it online at his house in 2002. Spent all of my money to buy a copy with headset and a network adapter. Played online for weeks until I ran into a player named "Sexton Hardcastle" who was super jumping and invincible. I wanted to do the same except everyone was very secretive of the good codes. I learned to hack and here we are.

Same story. Buddy of mine got it when we were in middle school. He just got DSL and we cracked out on that shit. I ended up getting a ps2 and all the shit to go with it like a week or so later. I then realized that having high speed was a requirement and at the time we still had Dial up. Had to convince my mom that getting either dsl or cable made sense and as soon as I said it doesn't tie up the phone line she was sold.

(03-01-2019, 02:04 AM)1UP Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 08:20 PM)harry62 Wrote: Friend bought S1. I played it online at his house in 2002. Spent all of my money to buy a copy with headset and a network adapter. Played online for weeks until I ran into a player named "Sexton Hardcastle" who was super jumping and invincible. I wanted to do the same except everyone was very secretive of the good codes. I learned to hack and here we are.

Same story. Buddy of mine got it when we were in middle school. He just got DSL and we cracked out on that shit. I ended up getting a ps2 and all the shit to go with it like a week or so later. I then realized that having high speed was a requirement and at the time we still had Dial up. Had to convince my mom that getting either dsl or cable made sense and as soon as I said it doesn't tie up the phone line she was sold.

Never thought I’d see y’all again holy shit. Is anyone else still around? It’s been at least 10 years lmao