Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gillette commits brand suicide

(01-15-2019, 08:52 AM)hitman Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 11:54 PM)Buchanans Wrote: I agree that it is obnoxious and often inappropriate when companies engage in social or political positions and as a share holder would want the business of any scumbag that needed to shave. They're not a selling a product that needs them to exercise responsibility so why insert yourself into something. That said what's the message here that needs to be objected to? Don't fight or harass? While it has a bit of that cringy SJW flavor to it I'm finding some of the anti positions equally obnoxious of late as I think it can fuel things.

The ad shows a black guy coming to the "rescue" of a white girl by holding a white guy back from saying hello. I guess we're not allowed to introduce ourselves to women, anymore, and apparently your average black guy is virtuous enough give a shit and legally allowed to put hands on you.

It shows another black guy "protecting" white girls from white guys who are videoing at a pool party where all the girls are wearing tiny, two-piece bikinis.
Oh, look: a social mixer at a pool. All the little tramps are on Instagram. But don't bring your Tuber crew, you creeper!

It shows a white guy harassing an ethnic (black/brown) woman on a TV set, as part of a comedy routine. 
Of course, all the audience members are white.

Even if all that is subtle enough not to irritate you, the ad literally uses the words "toxic masculinity", and does so while portraying a 70-year-old man who looks like a stereotypical Vietnam/Gulf War veteran. 
Like, what the hell could that guy possibly be doing in public that could be labelled "toxic"? Fucking manspreading on the fucking bus while headed to fucking Luby's?

The video is enraging people, and rightfully so. It's purposefully sexist, and maybe even racist. 
Fuck Gilette.

I don't think I had the sound up enough or something cause I don't remember hearing that.

(01-14-2019, 10:08 PM)Buchanans Wrote: Maybe I didn't pay attention enough.  Aside from having  "I'm better then you" Ana on there is this really something to get up in arms over?

(01-15-2019, 08:52 AM)hitman Wrote:
(01-14-2019, 11:54 PM)Buchanans Wrote: I agree that it is obnoxious and often inappropriate when companies engage in social or political positions and as a share holder would want the business of any scumbag that needed to shave. They're not a selling a product that needs them to exercise responsibility so why insert yourself into something. That said what's the message here that needs to be objected to? Don't fight or harass? While it has a bit of that cringy SJW flavor to it I'm finding some of the anti positions equally obnoxious of late as I think it can fuel things.

The ad shows a black guy coming to the "rescue" of a white girl by holding a white guy back from saying hello. I guess we're not allowed to introduce ourselves to women, anymore, and apparently your average black guy is virtuous enough give a shit and legally allowed to put hands on you.

It shows another black guy "protecting" white girls from white guys who are videoing at a pool party where all the girls are wearing tiny, two-piece bikinis.
Oh, look: a social mixer at a pool. All the little tramps are on Instagram. But don't bring your Tuber crew, you creeper!

It shows a white guy harassing an ethnic (black/brown) woman on a TV set, as part of a comedy routine. 
Of course, all the audience members are white.

Even if all that is subtle enough not to irritate you, the ad literally uses the words "toxic masculinity", and does so while portraying a 70-year-old man who looks like a stereotypical Vietnam/Gulf War veteran. 
Like, what the hell could that guy possibly be doing in public that could be labelled "toxic"? Fucking manspreading on the fucking bus while headed to fucking Luby's?

The video is enraging people, and rightfully so. It's purposefully sexist, and maybe even racist. 
Fuck Gilette.

Its an aggregate of the non stop social programming that goes on in all commercials that has just been thrust front and center due to the publicity of this particular ad.

In almost EVERY commercial these days a couple will be portrayed as interracial. 90% of the time it will be a black male and white female (usually blonde). In every conceivable scenario white males will be portrayed as dumb, irresponsible, or corrrupt, while black males will be the hip "Alpha" who has it all figured out.

It is like this in literally every commercial you see. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJb3ebHY9k

Its reached the point of absurdity where even "normal" people who try not to see the bigger picture of social programming and who is behind it are getting sick of the indoctrination and this latest Gillette commercial is kind of a lot of peoples "enough already" type moment.

I think PETA topped Gillette with cringe factor in this ad:

LMAO, I lost it when they showed the memes.

(01-17-2019, 08:58 PM)dizee Wrote: LMAO, I lost it when they showed the memes.
I can't believe they gave that scum more air time. Soon as I fast forward I saw they interviewed him and switched it off.

Fuck that guy. 

Also, unpopular opinion. I couldn't ACTUALLY give two fucks about Gillette or their views. I have been using a Mach 3 for 20 years and I ain't about to switch to an inferior product because of marketing.

They already had me hook line and sinker by being first to market with a superior product, even the fusion pro-glide cream tops. 

I sure as shit ain't switching to Schtick and FUCK them Dollar Shave and Harry tards, they are re-cock-ulous in their own right. Yeah...like I'm gonna sign up for a whatever the month club like a stupid fucking idiot and pay for unneeded shit every year.  

I try and insulate that stupid baiting on either side of whatever moral outrage of the day is and stick to what works and routine. 

They wanna pull in new customers pandering like EVERYONE in the retail product space do, then so be it. It's a risk they have every right as a business to take and gamble with their ROI.

Sure diversity may be shoved down our throats with portrayals in commercials but hell I remember when Newports were sold to black people and Folgers to whites. Kinda dumb and ignorant for limiting your targeted demo and I think we're seeing more marketing to wider audiences (shoveled, sure) but as a business why wouldn't you?

Also, everyone loves the Mad Men advertising of the old but now all of sudden even consumers are pretending marketing doesn't exist or have angles and a purpose, I mean come the fuck on.  

Gillette ad DID make some bold stereotypes but then why everyone NOW wanna be PC about it? Is why I stopped really caring because its dumb and I got better things to think about.

(01-18-2019, 12:32 AM)SkiMask Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 08:58 PM)dizee Wrote: LMAO, I lost it when they showed the memes.
I can't believe they gave that scum more air time. Soon as I fast forward I saw they interviewed him and switched it off.

Fuck that guy. 

Also, unpopular opinion. I couldn't ACTUALLY give two fucks about Gillette or their views. I have been using a Mach 3 for 20 years and I ain't about to switch to an inferior product because of marketing.

They already had me hook line and sinker by being first to market with a superior product, even the fusion pro-glide cream tops. 

I sure as shit ain't switching to Schtick and FUCK them Dollar Shave and Harry tards, they are re-cock-ulous in their own right. Yeah...like I'm gonna sign up for a whatever the month club like a stupid fucking idiot and pay for unneeded shit every year.  

I try and insulate that stupid baiting on either side of whatever moral outrage of the day is and stick to what works and routine. 

They wanna pull in new customers pandering like EVERYONE in the retail product space do, then so be it. It's a risk they have every right as a business to take and gamble with their ROI.

Sure diversity may be shoved down our throats with portrayals in commercials but hell I remember when Newports were sold to black people and Folgers to whites. Kinda dumb and ignorant for limiting your targeted demo and I think we're seeing more marketing to wider audiences (shoveled, sure) but as a business why wouldn't you?

Also, everyone loves the Mad Men advertising of the old but now all of sudden even consumers are pretending marketing doesn't exist or have angles and a purpose, I mean come the fuck on.  

Gillette ad DID make some bold stereotypes but then why everyone NOW wanna be PC about it? Is why I stopped really caring because its dumb and I got better things to think about.

I'm pretty sure that the Newport and Folgers stereotypes are still alive and well.

(01-18-2019, 08:42 AM)eVo7 Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 12:32 AM)SkiMask Wrote: I can't believe they gave that scum more air time. Soon as I fast forward I saw they interviewed him and switched it off.

Fuck that guy. 

I'm pretty sure that the Newport and Folgers stereotypes are still alive and well.

Newports for sure. Oddly enough, here in IL, they are the most expensive smokes you can by. They run about 7 bucks a pack outside of Chicago, and 10 in the city. I used to smoke Newports, but haven't touched a cigarette in almost 20 years. Last time I bought a pack they were less than 2.50

(01-18-2019, 09:46 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 08:42 AM)eVo7 Wrote: I'm pretty sure that the Newport and Folgers stereotypes are still alive and well.

Newports for sure. Oddly enough, here in IL, they are the most expensive smokes you can by. They run about 7 bucks a pack outside of Chicago, and 10 in the city. I used to smoke Newports, but haven't touched a cigarette in almost 20 years. Last time I bought a pack they were less than 2.50
Just so we're clear, this about brand marketing and stereotypes  because I too would smoke Nupes from time to time when I felt like a menthol. What I'm specifically getting at is for the most part people were targeted for these products and it worked. 

Was it based in real statistics or were these demos targeted then became the statistic? Dunno. But for the most part, all I ever saw were upstanding black people smoking and loving Newports in magazines TV etc. Sure you might see an occasional white chick in a moose nuckle inducing bathing suit frolicking on the beach bit that was usually the exception. 

As far as price and whatnot my Nanny State made them all $8+ dollars a pack EVERYWHERE and if you went to a bodega in the hood ALL smokes went for a buck or two more as a premium. 

The shit that bugs now is that they are trying to rid the market of "flavored" smokes and are specific trying to ban menthol BECAUSE of it marketing supposedly to kids but that's a lie. They are using "kids" as an excuse to outlaw and target only a small percentage of the things to erode the market a bit at a time. 

And THATS what's fucking dumb cause smokes are bad but these pandering pussies believe that'll help their cause. AND these idiots that raised the prices left cigar and pipe tobacco alone so people started rolling their own with an inferiorly refined product that actually is WORSE for you that wise. BUT costs associated are like HALF than buying retail but you might as well be smoking a pack of cigarillos. FOH.  

Meanwhile while everybody running around addicted to nicotine like a bunch of fucking losers and the industry making more money than ever I surmise...So much money I heard PM phasing out Marlboro and will assume an ownership stake in a cannabis producing company in the next 5 years. Whether I believe it or not remains to be seen. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

(01-18-2019, 01:59 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 09:46 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Newports for sure. Oddly enough, here in IL, they are the most expensive smokes you can by. They run about 7 bucks a pack outside of Chicago, and 10 in the city. I used to smoke Newports, but haven't touched a cigarette in almost 20 years. Last time I bought a pack they were less than 2.50
Just so we're clear, this about brand marketing and stereotypes  because I too would smoke Nupes from time to time when I felt like a menthol. What I'm specifically getting at is for the most part people were targeted for these products and it worked. 

Was it based in real statistics or were these demos targeted then became the statistic? Dunno. But for the most part, all I ever saw were upstanding black people smoking and loving Newports in magazines TV etc. Sure you might see an occasional white chick in a moose nuckle inducing bathing suit frolicking on the beach bit that was usually the exception. 

As far as price and whatnot my Nanny State made them all $8+ dollars a pack EVERYWHERE and if you went to a bodega in the hood ALL smokes went for a buck or two more as a premium. 

The shit that bugs now is that they are trying to rid the market of "flavored" smokes and are specific trying to ban menthol BECAUSE of it marketing supposedly to kids but that's a lie. They are using "kids" as an excuse to outlaw and target only a small percentage of the things to erode the market a bit at a time. 

And THATS what's fucking dumb cause smokes are bad but these pandering pussies believe that'll help their cause. AND these idiots that raised the prices left cigar and pipe tobacco alone so people started rolling their own with an inferiorly refined product that actually is WORSE for you that wise. BUT costs associated are like HALF than buying retail but you might as well be smoking a pack of cigarillos. FOH.  

Meanwhile while everybody running around addicted to nicotine like a bunch of fucking losers and the industry making more money than ever I surmise...So much money I heard PM phasing out Marlboro and will assume an ownership stake in a cannabis producing company in the next 5 years. Whether I believe it or not remains to be seen. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

OH I knew exactly what you were talking about and I agree with you. Newports are DEFINITELY targeted at a certain demographic, in the same way that Kools are (or were. Not sure if they still exist). And you are absolutely right, it worked. Never saw any of the bruthas smoking Marbs or Camels. ONLY Newports or Kools.

I was just adding an additional blurb about my personal smoking habits for conversation.