Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gillette commits brand suicide

(01-18-2019, 02:13 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: OH I knew exactly what you were talking about and I agree with you. Newports are DEFINITELY targeted at a certain demographic, in the same way that Kools are (or were. Not sure if they still exist).  And you are absolutely right, it worked. Never saw any of the bruthas smoking Marbs or Camels. ONLY Newports or Kools.

I was just adding an additional blurb about my personal smoking habits for conversation.
That's sort of what I am getting at. Gillette targeting bearded stereotypes and these days its synonymous with dudes who are portrayed to think like that...by liberal shitty woman who supposedly constructed this ridiculous ad. Is simply a non issue.

None of those people were like me but yet here I use regardless. 

Too much naval fuzz everybody gazing at these days thinking everything about them and theirs. Most folks couldn't give two shits about any of it. Most folks can barely give a fuck about their own family members feelings much less a stranger. Hell I wouldn't have even seen it had it not been placed on the that cesspool of a platform to begin with. 

Have YET to see that ad out in the wild and most likely won't. 

Nike didn't lose one fucking red cent and I'm betting Gillette no different. They just got more views and eyeballs on SuperBowl level marketing numbers WITHOUT paying the outrageous costs associated, IMO.

Winner= Gillette. Losers=Everyone that saw it and talking about it. 

Which IS the definition of a marketing success.

Gillete is committing brand suicide, they arnt winning anything. That would be like saying Dice is winning because of BF5 going full SJW. All their actions did was make Fortnite, COD and other games more money since the money that would have went towards buying BF5 went to those other games. They got media attention when they did their dumb shit too, but none of it was positive and when it came time for people to buy the game, they simply told EA to fuck off which is why the game bombed. Same thing applies here, these people will all use other companies now while Gillette continues down their retarded path.

Will they go bankrupt? No, ofcourse not. But now they have a stigma attached to them like many other SJW companies do.

(01-18-2019, 09:46 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 08:42 AM)eVo7 Wrote: I'm pretty sure that the Newport and Folgers stereotypes are still alive and well.

Newports for sure. Oddly enough, here in IL, they are the most expensive smokes you can by. They run about 7 bucks a pack outside of Chicago, and 10 in the city. I used to smoke Newports, but haven't touched a cigarette in almost 20 years. Last time I bought a pack they were less than 2.50

When I was growing up I knew a lot more Newport smokers then Marlboro smokers. I make my own cigs now with a cigarette making machine because its much cheaper buying bagged tobacco these days but use menthol filters. Once in awhile when I am feeling too lazy to make them I grab a pack of Newports at the store which are 10.27 per pack here now.

(01-18-2019, 02:13 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 01:59 PM)SkiMask Wrote: Just so we're clear, this about brand marketing and stereotypes  because I too would smoke Nupes from time to time when I felt like a menthol. What I'm specifically getting at is for the most part people were targeted for these products and it worked. 

Was it based in real statistics or were these demos targeted then became the statistic? Dunno. But for the most part, all I ever saw were upstanding black people smoking and loving Newports in magazines TV etc. Sure you might see an occasional white chick in a moose nuckle inducing bathing suit frolicking on the beach bit that was usually the exception. 

As far as price and whatnot my Nanny State made them all $8+ dollars a pack EVERYWHERE and if you went to a bodega in the hood ALL smokes went for a buck or two more as a premium. 

The shit that bugs now is that they are trying to rid the market of "flavored" smokes and are specific trying to ban menthol BECAUSE of it marketing supposedly to kids but that's a lie. They are using "kids" as an excuse to outlaw and target only a small percentage of the things to erode the market a bit at a time. 

And THATS what's fucking dumb cause smokes are bad but these pandering pussies believe that'll help their cause. AND these idiots that raised the prices left cigar and pipe tobacco alone so people started rolling their own with an inferiorly refined product that actually is WORSE for you that wise. BUT costs associated are like HALF than buying retail but you might as well be smoking a pack of cigarillos. FOH.  

Meanwhile while everybody running around addicted to nicotine like a bunch of fucking losers and the industry making more money than ever I surmise...So much money I heard PM phasing out Marlboro and will assume an ownership stake in a cannabis producing company in the next 5 years. Whether I believe it or not remains to be seen. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

OH I knew exactly what you were talking about and I agree with you. Newports are DEFINITELY targeted at a certain demographic, in the same way that Kools are (or were. Not sure if they still exist).  And you are absolutely right, it worked. Never saw any of the bruthas smoking Marbs or Camels. ONLY Newports or Kools.

I was just adding an additional blurb about my personal smoking habits for conversation.

Thats the entire point. Those products were TARGETED to a demographic.

The Gillette commercial and the hundreds of others like it are not "targeting" any demographic with their social programming and indoctrination. They are blatantly flying in the face of their target demographic in favor of propaganda.

I dont know how to post images here, but there are literally hundreds of examples of blatant imagery desigjned soley to socially engineer and normalize degenerate behavior and to push a narrative that is so ass backwards its absurd.

(01-18-2019, 05:42 PM)dizee Wrote: Gillete is committing brand suicide, they arnt winning anything. That would be like saying Dice is winning because of BF5 going full SJW. All their actions did was make Fortnite, COD and other games more money since the money that would have went towards buying BF5 went to those other games. They got media attention when they did their dumb shit too, but none of it was positive and when it came time for people to buy the game, they simply told EA to fuck off which is why the game bombed. Same thing applies here, these people will all use other companies now while Gillette continues down their retarded path. 
Apples and Oranges IMO because video games compared to a personal hygiene product aren't even close comparisons even while on this topic. 
(01-18-2019, 09:37 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Thats the entire point. Those products were TARGETED to a demographic.

The Gillette commercial and the hundreds of others like it are not "targeting" any demographic with their social programming and indoctrination. They are blatantly flying in the face of their target demographic in favor of propaganda.

I dont know how to post images here, but there are literally hundreds of examples of blatant imagery desigjned soley to socially engineer and normalize degenerate behavior and to push a narrative that is so ass backwards its absurd.
I get the targeted demo...MEN.

My point wasn't that it's not absurdly mis-characterized because it is. I understand the powerful imagery used visually and even the auditory message conveyed...absurdly dishonest. BUT what I am saying is Gillette isn't gonna lose a single friggin dime over it even with people saying they are gonna give up the product. 

Drops in the ocean  as far as i am concerned is their opinions for a company such as this. Competition already pretty scarce in that segment and it wasn't until the tard of the month clubs came in only a few short years ago and even they probably haven't made much of a dent in a powerhouse such as Gillette. 

Again when you analyze the stock price (REAL indicator) of Nike, they didn't lose market share, EPS or anything else. Now I haven't peeked in awhile but that was the latest I heard a quarter after that happened. Gillette will be no different IMO when you check next quarter. 

The fact that most now know who Gillette is (whether positive or negative or mischaracterizations isn't the point anymore. Marketing cheaply (on Twitter) and effectively (going viral) is the point. And they successfully did that and regardless of the SJW aspect and the offended crowds abstaining doesn't mean fuck all to the bottom line, IMO.

People gonna buy whatever the fuck works regardless of the CEOs and the marketing departments that shill those products. People now a days lack the spine to take such a stance and are just fly by night outrage lunatics looking for a spotlight because most just choose products based on effectiveness and not company ethics. 

At least not anymore in today's landscape. There is just too much info coming in all directions and everybody just has an opinion and my guess not much of the stones it would take to actually abstain.

You could go on and on but people just don't care anymore otherwise the world would be a VERY different place. People wouldn't support race to the bottom Walmartian economics if so.

(01-18-2019, 11:52 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(01-18-2019, 05:42 PM)dizee Wrote: Gillete is committing brand suicide, they arnt winning anything. That would be like saying Dice is winning because of BF5 going full SJW. All their actions did was make Fortnite, COD and other games more money since the money that would have went towards buying BF5 went to those other games. They got media attention when they did their dumb shit too, but none of it was positive and when it came time for people to buy the game, they simply told EA to fuck off which is why the game bombed. Same thing applies here, these people will all use other companies now while Gillette continues down their retarded path. 
Apples and Oranges IMO because video games compared to a personal hygiene product aren't even close comparisons even while on this topic. 
(01-18-2019, 09:37 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Thats the entire point. Those products were TARGETED to a demographic.

I get the targeted demo...MEN.

My point wasn't that it's not absurdly mis-characterized because it is. I understand the powerful imagery used visually and even the auditory message conveyed...absurdly dishonest. BUT what I am saying is Gillette isn't gonna lose a single friggin dime over it even with people saying they are gonna give up the product. 

Drops in the ocean  as far as i am concerned is their opinions for a company such as this. Competition already pretty scarce in that segment and it wasn't until the tard of the month clubs came in only a few short years ago and even they probably haven't made much of a dent in a powerhouse such as Gillette. 

Again when you analyze the stock price (REAL indicator) of Nike, they didn't lose market share, EPS or anything else. Now I haven't peeked in awhile but that was the latest I heard a quarter after that happened. Gillette will be no different IMO when you check next quarter. 

The fact that most now know who Gillette is (whether positive or negative or mischaracterizations isn't the point anymore. Marketing cheaply (on Twitter) and effectively (going viral) is the point. And they successfully did that and regardless of the SJW aspect and the offended crowds abstaining doesn't mean fuck all to the bottom line, IMO.

People gonna buy whatever the fuck works regardless of the CEOs and the marketing departments that shill those products. People now a days lack the spine to take such a stance and are just fly by night outrage lunatics looking for a spotlight because most just choose products based on effectiveness and not company ethics. 

At least not anymore in today's landscape. There is just too much info coming in all directions and everybody just has an opinion and my guess not much of the stones it would take to actually abstain.

You could go on and on but people just don't care anymore otherwise the world would be a VERY different place. People wouldn't support race to the bottom Walmartian economics if so.

Stock price is probably the single worst indicator or a company's value. Stock price is driven almost in total by news and earning projections while having almost nothing to do with the actual value of the company itself. There are companies whose stock price is $100/share with over a billion in market cap whos tangible assests if liquidated wouldnt add up to 5 million.

P/E ratio is a far better indicator of true value, but again you are missing the point. The "Oh well nobody cares" line is provably false simply by the backlash its created. If nobody cared, this wouldnt be an issue. Youre not seeing the big picture. Yes, Gillette will lose money. There are about 100 million white males in America. If their "target market" by making this commercial was to get feminist dykes and black males to buy their product while pissing off a much larger segment of their consumer base then they succeeded.

Now which number do you think is larger? The number of feminist dykes and black males in America, or the number of White males? Even if 1% of their White male consumer base stopped buying their product and there was a 10% increase in feminist dykes and black males running out to buy their product, this commercial made them lose money.

You are also not seeing the even more important point that regardless of the financial aspect, a much larger social awakening is going on to this bullshit. Its not about razors. Its about people finally tiring of the incessant propaganda being shoved down their throat. You might be perfectly content to be a consumer drone but there is a rising tide of people who are sick of what is going on and changes are coming.

Sorry but saying they are apples and oranges is totally invalid. A business is a business, does not matter what product they are selling. You act like a raging SJW and it is likely to lead to nowhere. They try to pander to a tiny minority of people and in the end alienate their core base.

It obvious that people in the younger generations are more tolerant of a SJW agenda and thus support it more. It still has not mattered, BF5 was cut to 50% off around 3 weeks after release, mainly because of that shit. And it will continue because the gaming industry is (likely the same as all the tech industries) full of far left hacks and people who are unable to speak out because they fear for losing their jobs. Bioware, DICE, Insomniac are some of the main culprits. All of their games bomb now with the exception of Insomniac who had the benefit of working on a Spiderman game that carried them to high sales. The list goes on. Look at Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks for example. Far left SJW companies who will never get rid of the SJW stimga. They should have made razors and STFU. Nobody wants to hear a lecture from a razor company just like Papa Johns should make pizzas and STFU because nobody cares what their owner said, they simply want a pizza to eat.

While your not wrong on your points Mack, let's be real honest, the topic was "Gillette committed brand suicide" and I just don't agree.

I don't think there is enough people who are actually outraged to actually matter in the grand scheme. 

Also, Twitter isn't necessarily even representative of that demo when you factor in total population in relation to sales globally. 

I'm also not a mindless drone as I see all the angles to this shit and have for decades. That's why I'm not easily sold on products in general. I'm not disagreeing they alienated a ton of their demo, but when I asked ordinary people only one out of 5 even knew what I was referring to. And when I mentioned what it was about, I could literally see people tuning it out because they ARE sick of it all to the point they are not even listening to either side anymore. 

So your spot on there, but again not even a queef in the grand scheme. Certainly not any 'suicide' that's for sure. 

Also, Gillette is owned by P&G and maybe they pull the bleeding heart blue haired Skintamate using chicks from Schick, who knows but again good luck in getting P&G to even feel the sting regardless of who's finally waking up to their retail product propaganda being shoveled at every opportunity.

(01-19-2019, 04:07 AM)dizee Wrote: ...You act like a raging SJW...
Um ok...I'm done. 

I thought we were having a valid discussion about brand suicide and I disagreed because I can argue either side to just about anything. But at this point I couldn't care less either way. 

And since you feel so strongly as to project some fucking dumb shit on me I ask myself why I even bothered with the circle jerk in the first place.

(01-19-2019, 04:29 AM)SkiMask Wrote: While your not wrong on your points Mack, let's be real honest, the topic was "Gillette committed brand suicide" and I just don't agree.

I don't think there is enough people who are actually outraged to actually matter in the grand scheme. 

Also, Twitter isn't necessarily even representative of that demo when you factor in total population in relation to sales globally. 

I'm also not a mindless drone as I see all the angles to this shit and have for decades. That's why I'm not easily sold on products in general. I'm not disagreeing they alienated a ton of their demo, but when I asked ordinary people only one out of 5 even knew what I was referring to. And when I mentioned what it was about, I could literally see people tuning it out because they ARE sick of it all to the point they are not even listening to either side anymore. 

So your spot on there, but again not even a queef in the grand scheme. Certainly not any 'suicide' that's for sure. 

Also, Gillette is owned by P&G and maybe they pull the bleeding heart blue haired Skintamate using chicks from Schick, who knows but again good luck in getting P&G to even feel the sting regardless of who's finally waking up to their retail product propaganda being shoveled at every opportunity.

(01-19-2019, 04:07 AM)dizee Wrote: ...You act like a raging SJW...
Um ok...I'm done. 

I thought we were having a valid discussion about brand suicide and I disagreed because I can argue either side to just about anything. But at this point I couldn't care less either way. 

And since you feel so strongly as to project some fucking dumb shit on me I ask myself why I even bothered with the circle jerk in the first place.

He wasnt calling you a raging SJW. Go back and re-read what he wrote. Youre getting ahead of yourself again.

I'm just gonna leave this right here...

[Image: PISBK0u.png]