Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOCOM II Online 2020 WIP

(10-14-2020, 09:16 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: NIce. I was worried about that too (the bootleg controller), so I did not buy new. I went ahead and bought a refurbished one off of ebay. I'll be headed to Kohl's for an amazon return of the 3rd party stick.

Yea the OEM PS2 controller is perhaps the most significant example of OEM superiority of any product Ive ever seen. Nothing ever came close. Much of the reason for Playstations objective superiority to Xbox stemmed simply from the controller.

Christ, it took Xbox the better part of 10 years to get a D pad that was even somewhat mediocre in comparison. Sony's D pad was closely guarded IP for good reason. Remember Xbox's Gen 1 controller? I was at a friends house watching them play the first time I experienced it. They handed me the controller to play and I couldnt believe how cheap and poorly designed it was. Absolute shit. 

Not to mention they were so big you could rip the cord out, put a mast on it, attach a sheet, and sail to fucking Portugal. 

It wasnt until I handled a later model Xbox 360 controller around 2013 that I could honestly say it was acceptable and even in the same league as Sony.

I loved the 360 controller the second I got mine. it had some weight to it and was good for my hands. Not saying the DS sticks are crap, but I liked the weight, which Sony has seemed to fix as they've put out 2 additional consoles.

Also assuming that even if not using SVDL/XLINK, I'll still need to use my computer as a bridge, yes? Can't be as easy as only running this through the PS2...

(10-14-2020, 12:39 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: I loved the 360 controller the second I got mine. it had some weight to it and was good for my hands. Not saying the DS sticks are crap, but I liked the weight, which Sony has seemed to fix as they've put out 2 additional consoles.

Also assuming that even if not using SVDL/XLINK, I'll still need to use my computer as a bridge, yes? Can't be as easy as only running this through the PS2...
You don't need a PC to play on the server, you would however need a PC to play on Xlink/SVDL (SVDL/Xlink are both dead.)

The only time you'd need a PC for the server is to put the patch file onto the flash drive, that's it. Other than that it's just like back in the day.

in game mics dont work on the server yet so people use discord

(10-14-2020, 01:18 PM)eVo7 Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 12:39 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: I loved the 360 controller the second I got mine. it had some weight to it and was good for my hands. Not saying the DS sticks are crap, but I liked the weight, which Sony has seemed to fix as they've put out 2 additional consoles.

You don't need a PC to play on the server, you would however need a PC to play on Xlink/SVDL (SVDL/Xlink are both dead.)

The only time you'd need a PC for the server is to put the patch file onto the flash drive, that's it. Other than that it's just like back in the day.
Jesus that's awesome! I mean, I was going to hit up 1UP's server anyway and skip over the SVDL/XLINK crap. Really is that damn easy. Thanks to all of you for hand holding me. 

Just got the 3rd party stick and McBoot. 128MB memory Card and OEM controller should be here Saturday. Just need to run some CAT 5 in my basement and I'm good to go. I'll be on here and there and testing things once the rest of my gear shows up, but won't really be able to commit until after NEXT weekend.

Diz, thanks for the heads up about Discord. I need to reinstall it on my phone. Wasn't really using it much, and all the notifications were driving me nuts. Then I can be like Mack and have my phone's vibrate be able to be heard through the speaker whenever someone says something. I think that was the last time I participated in a vocal discord was around one of the hater's balls, or maybe when someone was streaming once. It was a while ago...

(10-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 01:18 PM)eVo7 Wrote: You don't need a PC to play on the server, you would however need a PC to play on Xlink/SVDL (SVDL/Xlink are both dead.)

Jesus that's awesome! I mean, I was going to hit up 1UP's server anyway and skip over the SVDL/XLINK crap. Really is that damn easy. Thanks to all of you for hand holding me. 

Just got the 3rd party stick and McBoot. 128MB memory Card and OEM controller should be here Saturday. Just need to run some CAT 5 in my basement and I'm good to go. I'll be on here and there and testing things once the rest of my gear shows up, but won't really be able to commit until after NEXT weekend.

Diz, thanks for the heads up about Discord. I need to reinstall it on my phone. Wasn't really using it much, and all the notifications were driving me nuts. Then I can be like Mack and have my phone's vibrate be able to be heard through the speaker whenever someone says something. I think that was the last time I participated in a vocal discord was around one of the hater's balls, or maybe when someone was streaming once. It was a while ago...

You can mute server notifications so it doesn't blow your phone up.

(10-14-2020, 05:51 PM)eVo7 Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 01:50 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Jesus that's awesome! I mean, I was going to hit up 1UP's server anyway and skip over the SVDL/XLINK crap. Really is that damn easy. Thanks to all of you for hand holding me. 

You can mute server notifications so it doesn't blow your phone up.

I know man HAHAHAHA...wasn't really worth it for me having on the phone cuz I wasn't participating in anything. Figured I'd just remove the app. Now I'll have a reason.

Looks like the 128MB card works great and insanely fast. The 3MB Socom save happened so fast that I didn't think it worked. Also found an OEM controller that I had bought modded to have toggles for the L3/R3 buttons specifically for SOCOM. (used to hit the reload and fire rates mid fight). Still getting the new OEM because the left toggle wire must have cracked, so I am stuck on burst fire unless I change it to select, which I also might do.

Either way, looks like I'm good to go. Just gonna DL Harry's Patch and run the CAT 5 and we'll see where this ends up.

(10-14-2020, 09:39 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 09:16 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: NIce. I was worried about that too (the bootleg controller), so I did not buy new. I went ahead and bought a refurbished one off of ebay. I'll be headed to Kohl's for an amazon return of the 3rd party stick.

Yea the OEM PS2 controller is perhaps the most significant example of OEM superiority of any product Ive ever seen. Nothing ever came close. Much of the reason for Playstations objective superiority to Xbox stemmed simply from the controller.

Christ, it took Xbox the better part of 10 years to get a D pad that was even somewhat mediocre in comparison. Sony's D pad was closely guarded IP for good reason. Remember Xbox's Gen 1 controller? I was at a friends house watching them play the first time I experienced it. They handed me the controller to play and I couldnt believe how cheap and poorly designed it was. Absolute shit. 

Not to mention they were so big you could rip the cord out, put a mast on it, attach a sheet, and sail to fucking Portugal. 

It wasnt until I handled a later model Xbox 360 controller around 2013 that I could honestly say it was acceptable and even in the same league as Sony.

(10-15-2020, 01:59 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Looks like the 128MB card works great and insanely fast. The 3MB Socom save happened so fast that I didn't think it worked. Also found an OEM controller that I had bought modded to have toggles for the L3/R3 buttons specifically for SOCOM. (used to hit the reload and fire rates mid fight). Still getting the new OEM because the left toggle wire must have cracked, so I am stuck on burst fire unless I change it to select, which I also might do.

Either way, looks like I'm good to go. Just gonna DL Harry's Patch and run the CAT 5 and we'll see where this ends up.

Be careful what you wish for NOOB. Your long awaited entrance onto the Socom Battlefield has awakened the sleeping Asshole in me and if Im not killing communists in the streets at this time next month, I will be lazer focused on getting set back up on S2.

And when I see you in the lobby of Nightstalker, the sound of your knees trembling will reverberate through my speakers as you face me from the Left side of the lobby. Your fate has already been sealed and you WILL feel the warm embrace of my M79 as it sends you to the waiting room for the next round.........

(10-15-2020, 08:54 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(10-14-2020, 09:39 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Yea the OEM PS2 controller is perhaps the most significant example of OEM superiority of any product Ive ever seen. Nothing ever came close. Much of the reason for Playstations objective superiority to Xbox stemmed simply from the controller.

(10-15-2020, 01:59 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Looks like the 128MB card works great and insanely fast. The 3MB Socom save happened so fast that I didn't think it worked. Also found an OEM controller that I had bought modded to have toggles for the L3/R3 buttons specifically for SOCOM. (used to hit the reload and fire rates mid fight). Still getting the new OEM because the left toggle wire must have cracked, so I am stuck on burst fire unless I change it to select, which I also might do.

Be careful what you wish for NOOB. Your long awaited entrance onto the Socom Battlefield has awakened the sleeping Asshole in me and if Im not killing communists in the streets at this time next month, I will be lazer focused on getting set back up on S2.

And when I see you in the lobby of Nigjtstalker, the sound of your knees trembling will reverberate through my speakers as you face me from the Left side of the lobby. Your fate has already been sealed and you WILL feel the warm embrace of my M79 as it sends you to the waiting room for the next round.........

Just so long as I hear that psychotic cackle coming over the discord, I'll suffer. Looking very forward to getting worked over by Lucille...
 also...Ace Combat 5? Still awesome.