Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes Third Person click in SOCOM?

So I have a unique opportunity to directly communicate an open dialog with the development team on America's Army.

They're done with proving grounds on ps4 and the studio is on the verge of making the followup title. What makes this so exciting? They're making the leap to third person for AA5. The game that the majority of us have said is just a few pieces away from being SOCOM is about to get the biggest puzzle piece filled in. 

That's why I asked on SOCOM Fans Forum before it got nuked about anyone having a link to Rev's massive thread. I'd like to compile a list of what makes Third Person click with SOCOM. I haven't found that original thread yet but I'd like to forward a legitimate list to someone in the industry who is willing to listen.

So any thoughts? What would you like me to add to our wishlist?

[Image: 2pqst9k.png]

This is awesome, if they are legitimately willing to get input.

Well no one has a link to Revs TRS thread because Luke totally nuked TRS over Pink tweeting at his employer because someone went back and dug up a totally baseless years old post and tried to use it against him.

Let me think of some stuff and I can have a list made of things I think should be in the game

I posted the directions to that old thread. Did you ever follow them? I still remember the path and if you want it again let me know. 

It's still there last I checked.

Its a good question. I think for me, why I enjoy TPS more than FPS is because you get more feedback to process. You can use the camera to see around corners, you get more things to see on screen and in my opinion, it feels like I am playing "off rails". There is no question that it changes the playstyle and decisions you make based off that alone. I always felt limited in what I can see or do in a FPS. I think alot of it has to do with what you grew up playing too. PC gamers will most likely prefer FPS and console TPS. Its the same reason I cannot get into RE7 although I heard its a amazing game. If that game was a third person shooter like RE2, I'd be all over it. But I just cannot get into it because its a a FPS.

There is a reason Fortnite skins, emotes, dances etc sell a ton more than a game like PUBG or COD. Part of it is the playerbase and the type of game it is, but another part is that the other games are FPS (PUBG has TPS, but its not as popular on PC). You do not get to see any of that stuff in a FPS, all you see is your gun. The only Multiplayer FPS I have truly enjoyed has been Rainbow Six Siege but it does not even come close to approaching SOCOM for many reasons, one of them being the camera angle of the game.

(01-15-2019, 10:51 AM)SkiMask Wrote: I posted the directions to that old thread. Did you ever follow them? I still remember the path and if you want it again let me know. 

I sure as heck couldn't find what you did lol if you can pull it up that would be awesome man

(01-15-2019, 05:27 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote: I sure as heck couldn't find what you did lol if you can pull it up that would be awesome man
Sure, no problemo.
Go to: https://archive.org/web/
Input: http://therealsocom.com/community/ into the main search bar
Select "2016" from the graph and the calendar beneath will update
Select the green "April 17th" from the calendar to go to the site
Select "SOCOM Indie Projects" hyperlinked heading
Select Page 5
Select "H-Hour: Mistakes from Socom's past"

(01-15-2019, 03:33 AM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote: So I have a unique opportunity to directly communicate an open dialog with the development team on America's Army.

They're done with proving grounds on ps4 and the studio is on the verge of making the followup title. What makes this so exciting? They're making the leap to third person for AA5. The game that the majority of us have said is just a few pieces away from being SOCOM is about to get the biggest puzzle piece filled in. 

That's why I asked on SOCOM Fans Forum before it got nuked about anyone having a link to Rev's massive thread. I'd like to compile a list of what makes Third Person click with SOCOM. I haven't found that original thread yet but I'd like to forward a legitimate list to someone in the industry who is willing to listen.

So any thoughts? What would you like me to add to our wishlist?

[Image: 2pqst9k.png]

If you're talking specifically third person view I think it clicked with Socom mainly because they got it right. Not just the default place where the camera sat behind you but also the camera panning system. The camera knew when to pan up, down, or in based on objects in the environment so that they didn't bleed into your field of vision and such as well as so that you could see without your character blocking your view when you entered a narrow space such as the tunnel under the hostage building on DG. The third person view in Socom wasn't totally immune from third person camera issues but it was as close to perfect as you can get and the fact you could click up to the first person view took care of most of the issues that did occur such as getting that blade of grass out of your view if you were trying to snipe from a grassy part of Foxhunt for example. It would probably more accurately be stated as an end of the barrel view then a first person view because it would get rid of any artifacts that were between your body and gun it seemed.

Third person view is all about the periphery. It's a way to simulate the 120-degrees of human vision on a 60-degree field of view. It may be less immersive, but it's more natural.

The SOCOM camera was so good because Zipper found the right ratio of character to make visible. The player model was never intrusive on the overall viewable area, but was a great reference point for jumping and movement around obstacles. Seeing those legs pump during a run to defuse the bomb was just the right amount of tension.

(01-15-2019, 05:27 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 10:51 AM)SkiMask Wrote: I posted the directions to that old thread. Did you ever follow them? I still remember the path and if you want it again let me know. 

I sure as heck couldn't find what you did lol if you can pull it up that would be awesome man

(01-15-2019, 08:11 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 05:27 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote: I sure as heck couldn't find what you did lol if you can pull it up that would be awesome man
Sure, no problemo.
Go to: https://archive.org/web/
Input: http://therealsocom.com/community/ into the main search bar
Select "2016" from the graph and the calendar beneath will update
Select the green "April 17th" from the calendar to go to the site
Select "SOCOM Indie Projects" hyperlinked heading
Select Page 5
Select "H-Hour: Mistakes from Socom's past"

Got it! For some reason it wouldn't work on mobile and I had to switch over to my laptop. That's darthvipers thread which is just as good. I'll do some more digging later and see I I can find rev's.