Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What makes Third Person click in SOCOM?

(01-16-2019, 03:21 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote: Got it! For some reason it wouldn't work on mobile and I had to switch over to my laptop. That's darthvipers thread which is just as good. I'll do some more digging later and see I I can find rev's.
Yeah when we first talked about it, Mack mentioned Darths and I happened upon it almost momentarily afterwards and stopped there.  

I remember Rev's from SOFs forum, actually. That was before my TRS time and so I think it was posted in both areas. It was huge and thorough. So there is always that avenue in case searching this way at TRS becomes a too much a headache. 

I'd recommend selecting a few different dates in a couple of them early years and I bet you get lucky cause it was most likely a popular thread started by him.

I believe the new forums at SOF might've preserved some of the stickied and popular threads from over the years and reposted them for discussion. I bet if you spoke with Spazz he'd pull it up right quick if it still exists. 

Good luck!

PRE, have you heard anything else about the new game?

I saw this article shared by Shane: https://www.gamespace.com/featured/ameri...g-a-sequel

2 reasons.

Map Design:
Maps were designed around the 3rd person camera with most of the map being blocked off by fog or large objects. Older games used fog to hide the parts of the map that were not rendered in the distance. Modern games tend to load the map as a whole and use far less fog.

Controller usage:
Using a controller means that players do not have pin point accuracy compared to m/kb. This made players use tactics instead of relying on split second twitch shooting which is far easier with m/kb.

(01-21-2019, 01:44 PM)hitman Wrote: PRE, have you heard anything else about the new game?

I saw this article shared by Shane: https://www.gamespace.com/featured/ameri...g-a-sequel

They haven't even staffed for it yet but are close to. Some random things like female soldiers has popped up but that's about it. My contact is just gathering a list the community wants to see

(01-23-2019, 05:18 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 01:44 PM)hitman Wrote: PRE, have you heard anything else about the new game?

They haven't even staffed for it yet but are close to. Some random things like female soldiers has popped up but that's about it. My contact is just gathering a list the community wants to see

I saw this the other day from Shane: https://www.facebook.com/ufshane/posts/2461288040552725 

Quote:To all my dev friends if you are proficient in Unreal 4, Army Game Studios is hiring for development of the new game. The studio is in Huntsville, AL.
If you are interested send me a message and I will get your info to the project manager.
Serious inquiries only please.

That's at Redstone Armory. Exciting. I hope they really are going to try for a third-person spiritual successor.

I have a family member who is a business writer in Huntsville. I texted them the info, and I hope they get an interview with the studio.

(01-23-2019, 10:50 PM)SkiMask Wrote: I will delete this so as not to derail this important thread, but I have a quick technical question about the site for 1UP and or Hitman:

Why is the post above this one clipped and/or the kerning of the dialog box and quotes all fucked up? While they align normally everywhere else here in this post not so much. First time I've seen it so I am just curious.

Because I embedded two quote boxes and responded to each

(01-16-2019, 03:21 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 05:27 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote: I sure as heck couldn't find what you did lol if you can pull it up that would be awesome man

(01-15-2019, 08:11 PM)SkiMask Wrote: Sure, no problemo.
Go to: https://archive.org/web/
Input: http://therealsocom.com/community/ into the main search bar
Select "2016" from the graph and the calendar beneath will update
Select the green "April 17th" from the calendar to go to the site
Select "SOCOM Indie Projects" hyperlinked heading
Select Page 5
Select "H-Hour: Mistakes from Socom's past"

Got it! For some reason it wouldn't work on mobile and I had to switch over to my laptop. That's darthvipers thread which is just as good. I'll do some more digging later and see I I can find rev's.
Hey, so ever since TRS went into read only I disappeared for a while. After some time I stumbled upon Paul's forum he made but then it switched to another forum which I recently found, as I did with this site. So here I am, glad to see familiar faces again.

So to the point...I know this is a very old post so I'm not sure if it's already been found but I'm 99% sure I remember browsing old posts from the official playstation forums a couple years ago and seeing REV's master list on there as blueprints of the do's and don'ts for a true Socom game being discussed while Confrontation was in development, or S4, my memory is a little foggy. I'll do some digging when I get time. If I find it I'll create a thread with a link to it.

(06-15-2019, 08:29 PM)Organ-Donor Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 03:21 PM)PRE_-CISION-_ Wrote: Got it! For some reason it wouldn't work on mobile and I had to switch over to my laptop. That's darthvipers thread which is just as good. I'll do some more digging later and see I I can find rev's.
Hey, so ever since TRS went into read only I disappeared for a while. After some time I stumbled upon Paul's forum he made but then it switched to another forum which I recently found, as I did with this site. So here I am, glad to see familiar faces again.

So to the point...I know this is a very old post so I'm not sure if it's already been found but I'm 99% sure I remember browsing old posts from the official playstation forums a couple years ago and seeing REV's master list on there as blueprints of the do's and don'ts for a true Socom game being discussed while Confrontation was in development, or S4, my memory is a little foggy. I'll do some digging when I get time. If I find it I'll create a thread with a link to it.

Welcome aboard! BTW, TRS is now completely gone. The website was totally canned after someone was trying to ruin the sites owner's personal/professional life by tweeting their employer some completely irrelevant BS.