Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you watching?

Just popped in MI: Fallout and 5 minutes in I'm already loving the premise of three nuclear bombs detonated at the Vatican in Rome, the city of Jerusalem and the holy city of Mecca. 

No doubt MY Sci'ti man "Tommy Terrific" gonna deliver.

What about you?

The bathroom fight scene is so satisfying. Christopher McQuarrie is one of my favorite directors. The shootouts in Way of the Gun and Jack Reacher are my top two favorites.
He has just been signed on for M:I 7 and 8.

I've recently re-watched Blood Diamond, which is on Netflix. Another personal favorite.

Also watched Law Abiding Citizen for the first time. Enjoyed it. Doubt I'll watch again, though, since the twist is spoiled.

Going to see The Mule this weekend.
At some point, will re-watch John Wick 1 and 2 before 3 comes out.
Been debating whether or not to give The Punisher series a shot.

(01-23-2019, 04:48 AM)hitman Wrote: The bathroom fight scene is so satisfying. Christopher McQuarrie is one of my favorite directors. The shootouts in Way of the Gun and Jack Reacher are my top two favorites.
He has just been signed on for M:I 7 and 8.

I've recently re-watched Blood Diamond, which is on Netflix. Another personal favorite.

Also watched Law Abiding Citizen for the first time. Enjoyed it. Doubt I'll watch again, though, since the twist is spoiled.

Going to see The Mule this weekend.
At some point, will re-watch John Wick 1 and 2 before 3 comes out.
Been debating whether or not to give The Punisher series a shot.

Tom Cruise simply does not make bad movies. Period. His action roles, even at his age, just continue to get better.

Punisher Season 1 was good. I just began watching Season 2 and it is a chore to watch. Lazy writing, cringe dialogue, and the typical shoehorned diversity. The fight scenes are loaded with CGI blood and other cheese. Its not horrible if you want some mindless entertainment, but dont expect anything poignant.

Leo > Tom

(01-23-2019, 07:11 AM)dizee Wrote: Leo > Tom

Hard to compare the 2 as they both tend to make completely different films and roles.

For Action films Cruise has the far superior body of work.

In Oscar bait "acting" I guess you could give the nod to Leo although I dont think his range is that impressive and he lacks a certain charisma that is present in Cruise. He is borderline humorless in his performances and nothing he does seems to come organically.

Even in the over the top scenes in Wolf of Wall Street that were funny, he seemed to be "acting". It just doesnt come naturally for him. And he won a Best Actor Oscar for rolling around in the snow saying "UUUNNNNNGGGGGHHHHH, EEERRRRRRGGGGGGBBBBBBBHHHHH, AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH, and fighting a CGI bear.

Cruise's performance in Magnolia is on par with anything Leo has done and he has a better overall filmography. Is there a single bad movie in here?

Leo:

This Boy's Life

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Arnie Grape

The Quick and the Dead
Fee "The Kid" Herod
Sam Raimi
[16]
$18.6
The Basketball Diaries
Jim Carroll
Scott Kalvert
[17]
$2.4
Total Eclipse
Arthur Rimbaud
Agnieszka Holland
[18]
Insignificant
Romeo + Juliet
Romeo Montague
Baz Luhrmann
[19]
$147.5
Marvin's Room
Han
Jerry Zaks
[20]
$12.80
Titanic
Jack Dawson
James Cameron
[21]
$2187
The Man in the Iron Mask
King Louis XIV / Philippe
Randall Wallace
[22]
$183
Celebrity
Brandon Darrow
Woody Allen
[23]
$5.1
The Beach
Richard
Danny Boyle
[24]
$144.1
Catch Me If You Can
Frank Abagnale, Jr.
Steven Spielberg
[25]
$352.1
Gangs of New York
Amsterdam Vallon
Martin Scorsese
[26]
$193.8
The Aviator
Howard Hughes
Martin Scorsese
[27]
[28]
$213.7
The Departed
William "Billy" Costigan
Martin Scorsese
[29]
$291.5
Blood Diamond
Danny Archer
Edward Zwick
[30]
$171.4
The 11th Hour
Narrator (voice)
Nadia Conners
Leila Conners Petersen
[31]
$0.985
Body of Lies
Roger Ferris
Ridley Scott
[32]
$118.6
Revolutionary Road
Frank Wheeler
Sam Mendes
[33]
$75.2
Shutter Island
Edward "Teddy" Daniels / Andrew Laeddis
Martin Scorsese
[34]
$294.8
Hubble
Narrator (voice)
Toni Myers
[35]
$72.46
Inception
Dominick "Dom" Cobb
Christopher Nolan
[36]
$828.3
J. Edgar
J. Edgar Hoover
Clint Eastwood
[37]
$84.9
Django Unchained
Calvin J. Candie
Quentin Tarantino
[38]
$425.4
The Great Gatsby
Jay Gatsby
Baz Luhrmann
[39]
$353.6
The Wolf of Wall Street
Jordan Belfort
Martin Scorsese
[40]
$392
The Audition
Himself
Martin Scorsese
[41]
Unknown
The Revenant

His top 2 or 3 films are probably a hair better than Cruise's, but Cruise absolutely blows him away with quality AND quantity after that. Plus Leo has a few absolute stinkers that make watching paint dry exciting by comparison whereas Cruise doesnt have a single film that could objectively be considered "bad"".

(01-23-2019, 11:02 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 07:11 AM)dizee Wrote: Leo > Tom

His top 2 or 3 films are probably a hair better than Cruise's, but Cruise absolutely blows him away with quality AND quantity after that. Plus Leo has a few absolute stinkers that make watching paint dry exciting by comparison whereas Cruise doesnt have a single film that could objectively be considered "bad

Agreed, I generally enjoy watching Leo movies, but a few have been a chore to watch.

When it comes to pure entertainment value, I personally would have to give the nod to Cruise.

As far as what I am watching currently. I am rewatching The Amazing Race, which is one of my favorite shows of the genre, but its more of a background mindless watch since I have already seen them.

I also restarted Game of Thrones and will be trying to get through it prior to the final season debuting in April. The story is so complex its interesting to see what you missed when you go back through it multiple times.

I remember vividly for whatever reason when I saw The Beach in the theater and had one them out of body experiences upon walking out into the parking lot when it was over.  

Like, those times where you lose track of time and have that odd moment where you're sort of disoriented. That movie really sucked me in at the time. 

Cruise > Leo no doubt though; Tom hasn't made anything I haven't loved or really liked. Especially once he went out on his own or whatever and got out from under Paramount. I seem to remember they had a tumultuous relationship at one point but Skydance seems to be treating him well enough to sign on to another two MIs. 

Hell, I even loved Vanilla Sky for what it was and everybody HATED that movie. The scene with the mask and his flailing about in madness at the club was memorable. "Maybe in another life when we're both cats." Jesus I even remember the dumb corny lines from Penelope FFS. 

I'm sort of ashamed I've seen every single movie on that list. BUT I did turn off Wolf of Wallstreet about an hour in. Might've been a couple others too, but not with Tom. He"s always delivered. 

Maybe Eyes Wide Shut, can't remember if I skipped that or not.

(01-23-2019, 05:38 PM)SkiMask Wrote: I remember vividly for whatever reason when I saw The Beach in the theater and had one them out of body experiences upon walking out into the parking lot when it was over.  

Like, those times where you lose track of time and have that odd moment where you're sort of disoriented. That movie really sucked me in at the time. 

Cruise > Leo no doubt though; Tom hasn't made anything I haven't loved or really liked. Especially once he went out on his own or whatever and got out from under Paramount. I seem to remember they had a tumultuous relationship at one point but Skydance seems to be treating him well enough to sign on to another two MIs. 

Hell, I even loved Vanilla Sky for what it was and everybody HATED that movie. The scene with the mask and his flailing about in madness at the club was memorable. "Maybe in another life when we're both cats." Jesus I even remember the dumb corny lines from Penelope FFS. 

I'm sort of ashamed I've seen every single movie on that list. BUT I did turn off Wolf of Wallstreet about an hour in. Might've been a couple others too, but not with Tom. He"s always delivered. 

Maybe Eyes Wide Shut, can't remember if I skipped that or not.

Eyes Wide Shut is unironically probably his best film. It needs to be watched multiple times to fully digest. I would have loved to have seen Kubrick's final edit, but (((They))) got to him and gave him a well timed heart attack before he could finish.

He was obviously hitting too close to home for them with the secret society stuff and he had to go.

The film itself is still an atmospheric masterpiece despite him not having final control over the release.

Looking back on DiCaprio's filmography the only "great" films would be Titanic, The Departed, Gangs of New York and possibly Inception although I would rate that as a solid "good".

Most of his films are done with premeire directors and supporting casts so his performances dont ever raise the quality of the film. If anything he looks better as a result.

Collateral.

I'll just leave my mic here...

(01-23-2019, 06:07 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Collateral.

I'll just leave my mic here...

Absolutely. As you know I think Collateral is a flawless film with perfect photography and sound editing.

However, that doesnt necessarily make it BETTER than The Departed.

An interesting discussion to be sure.