Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you watching?

Collateral is in my "must watch annually" list. I wish Michael Mann would make a proper return to form. Public Enemies, Blackhat, Miami Vice were so boring by comparison to Thief, Heat, and Collateral.

Being a fan of Blood Diamond, I was really hoping that Jack Reacher: Never Go Back would turn out to be a great Edward Zwick / Tom Cruise pairing. Yikes, that was a mistake. It's not a horrible film, but I don't have the stomach for it unless I'm watching both Reacher movies as a series.

(01-23-2019, 08:03 PM)hitman Wrote: Collateral is in my "must watch annually" list.  I wish Michael Mann would make a proper return to form. Public Enemies, Blackhat, Miami Vice were so boring by comparison to Thief, Heat, and Collateral.

Being a fan of Blood Diamond, I was really hoping that Jack Reacher: Never Go Back would turn out to be a great Edward Zwick / Tom Cruise pairing. Yikes, that was a mistake. It's not a horrible film, but I don't have the stomach for it unless I'm watching both Reacher movies as a series.

Miami Vice has aged like wine. If you detach yourself from the fact that its based on a TV show from the 80s and uses the same character names its a great standalone film. Im a bit of a cinephile so Mann's technical brilliance with lighting, photography, and sound always seem to overpower the shortcomings of some of his films.

(01-23-2019, 08:13 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:03 PM)hitman Wrote: Collateral is in my "must watch annually" list.  I wish Michael Mann would make a proper return to form. Public Enemies, Blackhat, Miami Vice were so boring by comparison to Thief, Heat, and Collateral.

Miami Vice has aged like wine. If you detach yourself from the fact that its based on a TV show from the 80s and uses the same character names its a great standalone film. Im a bit of a cinephile so Mann's technical brilliance with lighting, photography, and sound always seem to overpower the shortcomings of some of his films.

Mann isn't the problem with Miami Vice. It's a shit story, and Colin Farrell couldn't be less convincing.

(01-23-2019, 05:56 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 05:38 PM)SkiMask Wrote: I remember vividly for whatever reason when I saw The Beach in the theater and had one them out of body experiences upon walking out into the parking lot when it was over.  

Like, those times where you lose track of time and have that odd moment where you're sort of disoriented. That movie really sucked me in at the time. 

Cruise > Leo no doubt though; Tom hasn't made anything I haven't loved or really liked. Especially once he went out on his own or whatever and got out from under Paramount. I seem to remember they had a tumultuous relationship at one point but Skydance seems to be treating him well enough to sign on to another two MIs. 

Hell, I even loved Vanilla Sky for what it was and everybody HATED that movie. The scene with the mask and his flailing about in madness at the club was memorable. "Maybe in another life when we're both cats." Jesus I even remember the dumb corny lines from Penelope FFS. 

I'm sort of ashamed I've seen every single movie on that list. BUT I did turn off Wolf of Wallstreet about an hour in. Might've been a couple others too, but not with Tom. He"s always delivered. 

Maybe Eyes Wide Shut, can't remember if I skipped that or not.

Eyes Wide Shut is unironically probably his best film. It needs to be watched multiple times to fully digest. I would have loved to have seen Kubrick's final edit, but (((They))) got to him and gave him a well timed heart attack before he could finish.

He was obviously hitting too close to home for them with the secret society stuff and he had to go.

The film itself is still an atmospheric masterpiece despite him not having final control over the release.

Looking back on DiCaprio's filmography the only "great" films would be Titanic, The Departed, Gangs of New York and possibly Inception although I would rate that as a solid "good".

Most of his films are done with premeire directors and supporting casts so his performances dont ever raise the quality of the film. If anything he looks better as a result.

Blood Diamond and Inception were both fantastic films.

(01-23-2019, 08:51 PM)dizee Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 05:56 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Eyes Wide Shut is unironically probably his best film. It needs to be watched multiple times to fully digest. I would have loved to have seen Kubrick's final edit, but (((They))) got to him and gave him a well timed heart attack before he could finish.

He was obviously hitting too close to home for them with the secret society stuff and he had to go.

The film itself is still an atmospheric masterpiece despite him not having final control over the release.

Looking back on DiCaprio's filmography the only "great" films would be Titanic, The Departed, Gangs of New York and possibly Inception although I would rate that as a solid "good".

Most of his films are done with premeire directors and supporting casts so his performances dont ever raise the quality of the film. If anything he looks better as a result.

Blood Diamond and Inception were both fantastic films.

I agree. I just dont put either on the "Great" tier.

Mann... you're all hitting home and you can tell most if us are around the same age because fuck if you all haven't brought up fantastic points about these films. 

Collateral was a masterpiece in my opinion as well and despite what Mack said about Mann using so much of the elements can distract, I really love the atmospheric presence he brought to everything he basically worked on. 

That Chris Cornell music queued with the symbolism of the coyote gave me the fucking goose bumps. Shit like that. And he basically inventing adding popular mainstream music to his work (Miami Vice TV show) a pioneer in my mind. Wasn't that Jan Hammer though too? I try and not Google these types of things anymore. 

Also though, I could have a bit of nostalgia blindness because I used to watch all the episodes with my father growing up. As inappropriate as that was, it shaped my young mind into wanting to be Sonny fucking Crockett. Taking down the bad guys, living alone on a boat, conflicted with his wife and kid, that Enzo Ferrari, best friend in Tubbs despite their rough start, etc etc etc 

Few years back I went and re-watched all the episodes during a TV marathon while couch potato'ing through college and I thought they held up fantastically well. If you ever want a refresher watch the episode where Sonny is shot in the subway terminal ("A Bullet for Crockett" s4e20) and they do all that flashback and again...goose bumps. 

Black Hat was just on over the weekend while I was up at the lake with access to cable and I really enjoyed the rewatch. I also enjoyed the Miami Vice movie despite Colin because it checked all the other boxes I required from him despite the weakest link being CF's acting.  

Something about the cinnematography Mann uses in his films and TV and the darkness he conveys is vastly superior to anything I've ever seen from another Director. Lord does he do a fantastic job of the deep think drive scenes of the conflicted...

(01-23-2019, 07:31 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 06:07 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Collateral.

I'll just leave my mic here...

Absolutely. As you know I think Collateral is a flawless film with perfect photography and sound editing.

However, that doesnt necessarily make it BETTER than The Departed.

An interesting discussion to be sure.

No I agree. I was just saying that you and I are definitely on the same page with Collateral, and Michael Mann as a whole. His movies are absolutely magnificent.

The Departed also was so good. It can't be judged poorly.

Leo has definitely done better movies than Tom, just not a lot. Granted Tom Cruise has been around longer.

The only movie I give him a WTF for was War of the Worlds. That movie was plain bad. Dakota Fanning made it that much worse....

(01-24-2019, 08:35 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 07:31 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Absolutely. As you know I think Collateral is a flawless film with perfect photography and sound editing.

However, that doesnt necessarily make it BETTER than The Departed.

An interesting discussion to be sure.

No I agree. I was just saying that you and I are definitely on the same page with Collateral, and Michael Mann as a whole. His movies are absolutely magnificent.

Leo has definitely done better movies than Tom, just not a lot. Granted Tom Cruise has been around longer.

The only movie I give him a WTF for was War of the Worlds. That movie was plain bad. Dakota Fanning made it that much worse....

A lot of people forget about Manhunter as well. An absolute clinic in imagery and cinematography.

The thing about Mann's movies, ironically, is they are quintessentially male. You have male protagonists and antagonists who are presented with obstacles and adversity who through sheer force of will and their own creativity and strength as a man are able to persevere through those barriers to achieve their goal at any cost. There is absolutely nothing even remotely feminine about his films. His movies are basically a blueprint of what it is to be a man.

Have a goal. Whether that goal was a choice or whether that goal was forced upon you. Detemine what needs to be done to achive that goal. Begin taking those steps. Fight through whatever comes your way as you work towards that goal with singular focus. Achieve that goal or die trying.

This template applies to almost all of his films, protagonists, and antagonists.

(01-23-2019, 08:45 PM)hitman Wrote:
(01-23-2019, 08:13 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Miami Vice has aged like wine. If you detach yourself from the fact that its based on a TV show from the 80s and uses the same character names its a great standalone film. Im a bit of a cinephile so Mann's technical brilliance with lighting, photography, and sound always seem to overpower the shortcomings of some of his films.

Mann isn't the problem with Miami Vice. It's a shit story, and Colin Farrell couldn't be less convincing.

The story is a pretty generic drug trafficing yarn. Im not sure how it could have been improved. And yes Farrell was pretty stiff. Despite that I still rate it higher than most people typically do for the reasons mentioned previously.

(01-24-2019, 09:57 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 08:35 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: No I agree. I was just saying that you and I are definitely on the same page with Collateral, and Michael Mann as a whole. His movies are absolutely magnificent.

A lot of people forget about Manhunter as well. An absolute clinic in imagery and cinematography.

The thing about Mann's movies, ironically, is they are quintessentially male. You have male protagonists and antagonists who are presented with obstacles and adversity who through sheer force of will and their own creativity and strength as a man are able to persevere through those barriers to achieve their goal at any cost. There is absolutely nothing even remotely feminine about his films. His movies are basically a blueprint of what it is to be a man.

Have a goal. Whether that goal was a choice or whether that goal was forced upon you. Detemine what needs to be done to achive that goal. Begin taking those steps. Fight through whatever comes your way as you work towards that goal with singular focus. Achieve that goal or die trying.

This template applies to almost all of his films, protagonists, and antagonists.

(01-23-2019, 08:45 PM)hitman Wrote: Mann isn't the problem with Miami Vice. It's a shit story, and Colin Farrell couldn't be less convincing.

The story is a pretty generic drug trafficing yarn. Im not sure how it could have been improved. And yes Farrell was pretty stiff. Despite that I still rate it higher than most people typically do for the reasons mentioned previously.
Anyone who is a true fan of cinema never forgets Manhunter. It was pure genius. Brian Cox's best role ever, IMO. That movie also made William Peterson (more than To Live and Die in L.A - which was also great). Peterson owes his career to those roles. Always liked the guy. Doesn't hurt he's from Chicago, either. So Is Michael Mann

And when it comes to cinematography, how is it that no one has mentioned The Last of the Mohicans? One of the most visually striking films of all time...

(01-24-2019, 10:48 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 09:57 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: A lot of people forget about Manhunter as well. An absolute clinic in imagery and cinematography.

Anyone who is a true fan of cinema never forgets Manhunter. It was pure genius. Brian Cox's best role ever, IMO. That movie also made William Peterson (more than To Live and Die in L.A - which was also great). Peterson owes his career to those roles. Always liked the guy. Doesn't hurt he's from Chicago, either. So Is Michael Mann

And when it comes to cinematography, how is it that no one has mentioned The Last of the Mohicans? One of the most visually striking films of all time...
LotM is actually the film that sparked my passion for cinema.

I vividly remember renting it in 1993 from Blockbuster. I put it in the VCR and sat down with my Mother to watch it. As it began playing, I saw for the first time Letterboxxing on a TV screen. My Mother said "Whats wrong with the picture? It doesnt fit the screen!" and had trouble seeing it on our giant 19" CRT television in the living room, lol.

I was put off at first as well, but after a short while it dawned on me I was seeing a superior version of the film and what the director had intended the audience to see, rather than a chopped down version built to fit the TVs of the time.

It was the only film I had seen do that and made me rethink all the other films I had watched on video and want to see them again as they should be seen. It remained the only movie I had in that format in VHS for 5 years until DVDs came out and I built my library up to around 4,000 movies.

Some of my fondest memories were of watching movies with my Mother. I still to this day watch movies and find myself thinking "She would have loved this" or "She would think this guy is an asshole" lol. Movies can create a bookmark in time for your life and evoke memories or feelings much the same as music.

It is high art when done correctly and thats why I get so irritated that Hollywood has been turned into a virtue signaling propaganda machine of pure absurdity. The current generation is being robbed of having a soundtrack of their youth in film and music because its all just SJW indoctrination. We came of age just in time.