Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you watching?

(05-22-2020, 12:14 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: The entire series is phenomenal and the only thing of any significance ESPN has produced since the 90s other than 30 for 30. It only gets better. The flashbacks and flashfowards are perfectly timed and its the best produced sports documentary Ive ever seen.

Its also a fascinating insight into the mind of the greatest athlete (Next to Tom Brady) we have or will see in our lifetime.

The gift of Michael Jordan was just that. A gift. To watch him play. We will never see anyone even remotely approaching his level in our lifetime. The psychological insight alone is fascinating and motivating.
I loved him speaking candidly about Isiah Thomas and that rivalry about sportsmanship and not shaking hands. Powerful stuff. I was the biggest MJ fan and have savored every episode often rewinding to get the subtle nuances etc. I would never download an app for much but this was one of those that you just cannot miss.

(05-22-2020, 08:43 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 12:14 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: The entire series is phenomenal and the only thing of any significance ESPN has produced since the 90s other than 30 for 30. It only gets better. The flashbacks and flashfowards are perfectly timed and its the best produced sports documentary Ive ever seen.

Its also a fascinating insight into the mind of the greatest athlete (Next to Tom Brady) we have or will see in our lifetime.

The gift of Michael Jordan was just that. A gift. To watch him play. We will never see anyone even remotely approaching his level in our lifetime. The psychological insight alone is fascinating and motivating.
I loved him speaking candidly about Isiah Thomas and that rivalry about sportsmanship and not shaking hands. Powerful stuff. I was the biggest MJ fan and have savored every episode often rewinding to get the subtle nuances etc. I would never download an app for much but this was one of those that you just cannot miss.

I always HATED the guy. Im a die hard Knicks fan and losing to him every year in the playoffs absolutely CRUSHED me. Watching him play made me sick. You could watch a game for 3 quarters where he was held to a somewhat reasonable standard and then there was a palpable feeling where he said "Fuck it. Im taking over this game and there isnt a Goddamned thing anybody on this court can do to stop me."

You could literally see the switch go off in him and you already knew the game was over.

I always rooted against him. Until he retired. Then I saw the state of the NBA and it dawned on me exactly how fucking great he was. I longed for that level of play and appreciated it for the gift it was to watch it.

Then when he came back he was rusty, post 30, and had some obvious dings in his armor. That kind of humanized him for me and I began to truly marvel at his craft. At that level there is almost ZERO difference athletically between professional players. Its ALL mental. Work ethic and pure confidence.

To put it in perspective, watch an MLB game and look at the dugout. The last man on the 25 man roster, the WORST player on the team, at some point was the BEST player in his fucking STATE. Thats how narrow the margins are. The difference is MENTAL.

Jordan was the Perfect Storm of unimaginable talent, combined with inexhaustible work ethic, pure, unstoppable drive to be the best, and the killer instinct to eviscerate his enemies on a grand scale in public.

Qualities that can make for a shitty teammate and human being, but the recipe for the greatest athlete we will ever see in our lives. That not even taking into account his crossover effect on culture, fashion, etc. We will never see anything like it again.

People who even speak LeBricks name in the same breath as that man have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

Just binged Bosch season 4 and 5. Had watched it a few years ago and knew it was a good show and was always on my radar.

But had the time to binge 4 and 5 back to back. God Damn but this is a good show. Titus Wulliver is fantastic.

Also, anyone who doesnt binge watch shows at +20% speed on VLC to maximize time consumption is is a fuckin pleb.

(05-23-2020, 11:43 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Just binged Bosch season 4 and 5. Had watched it a few years ago and knew it was a good show and was always on my radar.

But had the time to binge 4 and 5 back to back. God Damn but this is a good show. Titus Wulliver is fantastic.

Also, anyone who doesnt binge watch shows at +20% speed on VLC to maximize time consumption is is a fuckin pleb.

Dude, get some chickens or something. Rome is burning, and you're watching TV shows like a housewife with her SUV in the shop?

Tongue

Bosch was a great show. I really liked the first two seasons. Season three was a little too eclectic for its directors to keep up with; looking at Wikipedia, I can see that not only did they make some changes to the director lineup, they also split up the two-person writing teams. 

Season four was fine. Haven't watched five or six, yet. I thing the third season did its damage.

So I just moved last Friday and was without Cable for the week. I decided to put my Prime membership to some use and watch some of their shows. Binge watched multiple shows and here are some of the shows I watched.

Zero Zero Zero
Mad Dogs
Goliath
The Boys

Zero Zero Zero was great. Highly recommend.

Mad Dogs was also terrific.

Goliath was great.

The Boys. This show is special. Genuinely special. It stars, thats right, one of our favorites, THE Karl Urban. This show is absolutely phenomenal. The production value, writing, acting, and editing are superb. It hits every note from drama, comedy, thiller, action, etc. I cant remember the last time a show struck a chord with me like this.

The way they take an absurd concept, flip it, and build a world where the initial absurdity of the concept becomes completely normal and plays perfectly is truly incredible. I cannot give this show a higher recommendation. It is absolutely fantastic and one of the best shows Ive seen in years.

And Karl Urban kills it.

I have now started watching The Expanse. 6 episodes in and its quite good.

(06-21-2020, 10:55 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: So I just moved last Friday and was without Cable for the week. I decided to put my Prime membership to some use and watch some of their shows. Binge watched multiple shows and here are some of the shows I watched.

Zero Zero Zero
Mad Dogs
Goliath
The Boys

Goliath was great.

The Boys. This show is special. Genuinely special. It stars, thats right, one of our favorites, THE Karl Urban. This show is absolutely phenomenal. The production value, writing, acting, and editing are superb. It hits every note from drama, comedy, thiller, action, etc. I cant remember the last time a show struck a chord with me like this.

The way they take an absurd concept, flip it, and build a world where the initial absurdity of the concept becomes completely normal and plays perfectly is truly incredible. I cannot give this show a higher recommendation. It is absolutely fantastic and one of the best shows Ive seen in years.

And Karl Urban kills it.

The Boys is special indeed. I absolutely loved that show and cannot wait for season 2. Karl Urban was legendary in this. Elisabeth Shue was also superb. You nailed it: one show manages to cover every note and do it well. The peeling back of the skin and getting a chance to see the flaws of all the characters is a great take on those type of movies. There is a movie out called Brightburn which also looks at the opposite side of the coin when it comes to having superpowers. I haven't seen it, so I can't say it's good, but it definitely sounds interesting.

One of the funniest things about The Boys is that it's a show about comic book characters that makes fun of comic book characters and darkens the superhero mystique, based off of a comic book / graphic novel.

I have no words for the Expanse other than it is some of the best presented sci fi I have seen in a long time, especially the realism of life in space that is employed. It has a Game of Thrones vibe without the sketchy final season. Plans within plans and so many plot layers. Great writing, solid acting, characters you end up taking a vested interest in. The source material is also fantastic...

(06-22-2020, 08:16 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 10:55 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: So I just moved last Friday and was without Cable for the week. I decided to put my Prime membership to some use and watch some of their shows. Binge watched multiple shows and here are some of the shows I watched.

Zero Zero Zero
Mad Dogs
Goliath
The Boys

Goliath was great.

And Karl Urban kills it.

The Boys is special indeed. I absolutely loved that show and cannot wait for season 2. Karl Urban was legendary in this. Elisabeth Shue was also superb. You nailed it: one show manages to cover every note and do it well. The peeling back of the skin and getting a chance to see the flaws of all the characters is a great take on those type of movies. There is a movie out called Brightburn which also looks at the opposite side of the coin when it comes to having superpowers. I haven't seen it, so I can't say it's good, but it definitely sounds interesting.

One of the funniest things about The Boys is that it's a show about comic book characters that makes fun of comic book characters and darkens the superhero mystique, based off of a comic book / graphic novel.

I have no words for the Expanse other than it is some of the best presented sci fi I have seen in a long time, especially the realism of life in space that is employed. It has a Game of Thrones vibe without the sketchy final season. Plans within plans and so many plot layers. Great writing, solid acting, characters you end up taking a vested interest in. The source material is also fantastic...

Anthony Starr is also fantastic in The Boys. He starred in another over the top sleeper Banshee, which was also a phenomenal show. It really is hard to sing the praises of this show enough. Its just fucking great. Any word on season 2?

And yea, The Expanse is terrific. Im in season 2 now and its a quality show. They did a great job in season 1 laying the foundation and are building at a good pace.

(06-22-2020, 08:28 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 08:16 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: The Boys is special indeed. I absolutely loved that show and cannot wait for season 2. Karl Urban was legendary in this. Elisabeth Shue was also superb. You nailed it: one show manages to cover every note and do it well. The peeling back of the skin and getting a chance to see the flaws of all the characters is a great take on those type of movies. There is a movie out called Brightburn which also looks at the opposite side of the coin when it comes to having superpowers. I haven't seen it, so I can't say it's good, but it definitely sounds interesting.

Anthony Starr is also fantastic in The Boys. He starred in another over the top sleeper Banshee, which was also a phenomenal show. It really is hard to sing the praises of this show enough. Its just fucking great. Any word on season 2?

And yea, The Expanse is terrific. Im in season 2 now and its a quality show. They did a great job in season 1 laying the foundation and are building at a good pace.

I have been singing the praises of the Expanse for years. So solid. Amazon did a great thing in saving that show.

(06-22-2020, 11:57 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 08:28 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Anthony Starr is also fantastic in The Boys. He starred in another over the top sleeper Banshee, which was also a phenomenal show. It really is hard to sing the praises of this show enough. Its just fucking great. Any word on season 2?

I have been singing the praises of the Expanse for years. So solid. Amazon did a great thing in saving that show.

So Im mid season 3 now. And while I like the show a lot and enjoy the story, the one thing that is triggering me is "time".

I understand suspension of disbelief, but they have these people flying to the Earth and Mars and The Asteroid belt and Jupiter, and now Uranus like they are running out to 7/11 to get a couple hot dogs. There is no concept of fhe unimaginably vast distance between these destinations and the time it takes to travel.

From what I can see, despite being set in the future, they are still using standard rocket technology. And even the most advanced rocket tech has a speed ceiling that they disregard. Its just absurd that they are on The Asteroid Belt and literally 15 mins later they are near Mars or Earth or more absurdly Jupiter.

(06-22-2020, 10:17 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 11:57 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: I have been singing the praises of the Expanse for years. So solid. Amazon did a great thing in saving that show.

So Im mid season 3 now. And while I like the show a lot and enjoy the story, the one thing that is triggering me is "time".

I understand suspension of disbelief, but they have these people flying to the Earth and Mars and The Asteroid belt and Jupiter, and now Uranus like they are running out to 7/11 to get a couple hot dogs. There is no concept of fhe unimaginably vast distance between these destinations and the time it takes to travel.

From what I can see, despite being set in the future, they are still using standard rocket technology. And even the most advanced rocket tech has a speed ceiling that they disregard. Its just absurd that they are on The Asteroid Belt and literally 15 mins later they are near Mars or Earth or more absurdly Jupiter.

Not sure where in the series the episode is (I think you have seen it by now) that explains space travel 150 years from now. Basically a new type of fusion drive was invented that changed how we could explore space. It's not FTL so we are still confined to our own solar system. Think of space travel timeframes in the same way as we look at sailing ships crossing the oceans hundreds of years ago. Weeks-long travel times. In much the way we have lived here on Earth throughout our history, we now do the same on larger scale in the world of The Expanse. It's a futuristic progression of our own past 300 - 400 years.