Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you watching?

(06-23-2020, 07:57 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(06-22-2020, 10:17 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: So Im mid season 3 now. And while I like the show a lot and enjoy the story, the one thing that is triggering me is "time".

I understand suspension of disbelief, but they have these people flying to the Earth and Mars and The Asteroid belt and Jupiter, and now Uranus like they are running out to 7/11 to get a couple hot dogs. There is no concept of fhe unimaginably vast distance between these destinations and the time it takes to travel.

From what I can see, despite being set in the future, they are still using standard rocket technology. And even the most advanced rocket tech has a speed ceiling that they disregard. Its just absurd that they are on The Asteroid Belt and literally 15 mins later they are near Mars or Earth or more absurdly Jupiter.

Not sure where in the series the episode is (I think you have seen it by now) that explains space travel 150 years from now. Basically a new type of fusion drive was invented that changed how we could explore space. It's not FTL so we are still confined to our own solar system. Think of space travel timeframes in the same way as we look at sailing ships crossing the oceans hundreds of years ago. Weeks-long travel times. In much the way we have lived here on Earth throughout our history, we now do the same on larger scale in the world of The Expanse. It's a futuristic progression of our own past 300 - 400 years.

Just watched the episode when they first entered the Ring with the missle tailing them. The pilot said the missle was travelling 18,000 kph and was gaining on them. 

I know Im nitpicking but I always get triggered by that aspect of Sci-Fi.

(06-23-2020, 10:38 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 07:57 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Not sure where in the series the episode is (I think you have seen it by now) that explains space travel 150 years from now. Basically a new type of fusion drive was invented that changed how we could explore space. It's not FTL so we are still confined to our own solar system. Think of space travel timeframes in the same way as we look at sailing ships crossing the oceans hundreds of years ago. Weeks-long travel times. In much the way we have lived here on Earth throughout our history, we now do the same on larger scale in the world of The Expanse. It's a futuristic progression of our own past 300 - 400 years.

Just watched the episode when they first entered the Ring with the missle tailing them. The pilot said the missle was travelling 18,000 kph and was gaining on them. 

No friction in space bro. That is highly possible, within the realm of believable physics when also considering the scientific advancement centered around space travel in that universe. If you are in season 3, then yes, you have seen the episode where Epstein tested his engine. He died testing it. 

Humanity is able to go much faster than our current rocket tech allows. If I remember reading, top end Epstein engines are about 5% light speed, so these travel times you are complaining about could theoretically be possible.

From Earth at light speed it would take 4 hours to get to Neptune. So at 5% of that, hell even 3% light speed, if my memory was off with the book info, travel throughout the solar system in the way we would have taken a sailing ship is very feasible. We could theoretically get to Jupiter in a couple weeks.

Found this kinda cool bit of info.
http://toughsf.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-expanses-epstein-drive.html

(06-23-2020, 01:45 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 10:38 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Just watched the episode when they first entered the Ring with the missle tailing them. The pilot said the missle was travelling 18,000 kph and was gaining on them. 

No friction in space bro. That is highly possible, within the realm of believable physics when also considering the scientific advancement centered around space travel in that universe. If you are in season 3, then yes, you have seen the episode where Epstein tested his engine. He died testing it. 

Humanity is able to go much faster than our current rocket tech allows. If I remember reading, top end Epstein engines are about 5% light speed, so these travel times you are complaining about could theoretically be possible.

From Earth at light speed it would take 4 hours to get to Neptune. So at 5% of that, hell even 3% light speed, if my memory was off with the book info, travel throughout the solar system in the way we would have taken a sailing ship is very feasible. We could theoretically get to Jupiter in a couple weeks.

(((Epstein))) drive huh? I dont think so buddy. Nice try though. You expect me to believe the same engine that flew Bill Clinton on the Lolita Express works in Space? Cmon man. Dont insult my intelligence.

(06-23-2020, 04:24 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 01:45 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: No friction in space bro. That is highly possible, within the realm of believable physics when also considering the scientific advancement centered around space travel in that universe. If you are in season 3, then yes, you have seen the episode where Epstein tested his engine. He died testing it. 

(((Epstein))) drive huh? I dont think so buddy. Nice try though. You expect me to believe the same engine that flew Bill Clinton on the Lolita Express works in Space? Cmon man. Dont insult my intelligence.

As we discussed via text, I knew that a joke of this nature was inbound. Spent all day drunk on a golf course yesterday, so I am just catching up.

(06-25-2020, 07:34 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(06-23-2020, 04:24 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: (((Epstein))) drive huh? I dont think so buddy. Nice try though. You expect me to believe the same engine that flew Bill Clinton on the Lolita Express works in Space? Cmon man. Dont insult my intelligence.

As we discussed via text, I knew that a joke of this nature was inbound. Spent all day drunk on a golf course yesterday, so I am just catching up.

Stoned golf > Drunk golf.

Fight me.

(06-25-2020, 05:02 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 07:34 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: As we discussed via text, I knew that a joke of this nature was inbound. Spent all day drunk on a golf course yesterday, so I am just catching up.

Stoned golf > Drunk golf.

Fight me.

Nothing to fight over. I agree with you. I'd rather be relaxed and still have full motor control. However, just like in bowling and darts, there is a beer zone in golf. I reached it and was pretty happy. I hadn't even gripped a club or hit a ball all year, and I shot a 94...

(06-26-2020, 08:12 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 05:02 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: Stoned golf > Drunk golf.

Fight me.

Nothing to fight over. I agree with you. I'd rather be relaxed and still have full motor control. However, just like in bowling and darts, there is a beer zone in golf. I reached it and was pretty happy. I hadn't even gripped a club or hit a ball all year, and I shot a 94...

Yea I definitely plan on picking it back up over the summer and being more active again in outdoor activities. The whole shutdown hoax gave me a new appreciation for that type of thing.

Also forgot to mention another little gem I watched on Prime, Sneaky Pete. Excellent show.

(06-26-2020, 10:16 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(06-26-2020, 08:12 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Nothing to fight over. I agree with you. I'd rather be relaxed and still have full motor control. However, just like in bowling and darts, there is a beer zone in golf. I reached it and was pretty happy. I hadn't even gripped a club or hit a ball all year, and I shot a 94...

Yea I definitely plan on picking it back up over the summer and being more active again in outdoor activities. The whole shutdown hoax gave me a new appreciation for that type of thing.

Also forgot to mention another little gem I watched on Prime, Sneaky Pete. Excellent show.
Me as well. Got a ton of landscaping projects I wanted to do finished. I built a rock BBQ pad so I could get my gear off the patio, added some shrubbery areas around the side of my house, mulched everything, and added some edging stones up front. I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

Now I'll just enjoy the rest of the summer instead of manual labor. Mow and edge the lawn, and that's about it. Got a Weber kettle for Father's Day, so I am no longer cooking with gas. I lose about 20 minutes of convenience getting the coals lit and the grill up to temp. An even trade considering the food tastes so much better. And I get to watch my water bill go up keeping my lawn green. If the forecasts are correct, 2 straight weeks of 90 degree heat starting on Monday, baby. Can. Not. Wait.

Went to TN this past week for vacation. Went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. No masks required at 99% of the places down there. Sad I had to come back to mask world back here in NJ last night.

(06-29-2020, 09:21 AM)eVo7 Wrote: Went to TN this past week for vacation. Went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. No masks required at 99% of the places down there. Sad I had to come back to mask world back here in NJ last night.

I stopped wearing the face diaper months ago. Its so fun walking around Walmart and all the sheep staring and whispering. Nobody ever says shit though. A couple times an employees comes up to me and says something, but I just point out that they are breaking social distancing rules and point out the at least 50% of the customers who have their face diapers hanging off exposing their nose and mouth completely defeating the purpose. Then I politely tell them to fuck off. It's incredible how maleable the general public is.