Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you watching?

I also have a metric about movies that my mother would enjoy. She's still alive, but lives 6 hours away and in a remote location.

We tend to both enjoy movies that are less philosophical and more striking in a momentary way.

The Legend of Zorro
The Saint
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Ron Howard film)
The Ghost and the Darkness

etc etc

(01-24-2019, 01:07 PM)hitman Wrote: I also have a metric about movies that my mother would enjoy. She's still alive, but lives 6 hours away and in a remote location.

We tend to both enjoy movies that are less philosophical and more striking in a momentary way.

The Legend of Zorro
The Saint
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Ron Howard film)
The Ghost and the Darkness

etc etc

I definitely have "Mood" movies that I will play when I am feeling a certain way.

You mention Zorro which I put in the "Comfy" category. One of those movies that you can lay on the couch on a lazy Saturday afternoon and be thoroughly entertained.

I havent seen The Saint in a while. I think I'll give that a watch soon. Prime Elisabeth Shue is about as perfect a representation of the female species as there has ever been.

The Saint...SUCH a good movie. 

Some good 'comfy' afternoon movies for me:

*The Goonies
*Point Break
*The Breakfast Club
*The Game
*Big Trouble Little China
*Shawshank Redemption

The Saint was criminally underrated. It's simplicity is what makes it great. And don't get me started on The Ghost and the Darkness. I watch it whenever it's on.

Besides every Bond movie not starring Pierce Brosnan, my chill movies are as follows. Not all of them are great, but they are guilty pleasures.

Tron
Flash Gordon
Dredd (Karl Urban)
Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caveziel)
Shawshank
Escape From Alcatraz
The Eiger Sanction
The Osterman Weekend
The Untouchable
Highlander
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Man, I could go on forever.

(01-24-2019, 03:25 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: The Saint was criminally underrated. It's simplicity is what makes it great. And don't get me started on The Ghost and the Darkness. I watch it whenever it's on.

Besides every Bond movie not starring Pierce Brosnan, my chill movies are as follows. Not all of them are great, but they are guilty pleasures.

Tron
Flash Gordon
Dredd (Karl Urban)
Shawshank
Escape From Alcatraz
The Eiger Sanction
The Osterman Weekend
The Untouchable
Highlander

The only problem I had with The Saint was Val Kilmers face.

He has a very unique and noticeable mouth and lips. His character was supposed to be a chameleon and master of disguise. That is not possible when it was instantly apparent who he was with every disguise based on this. Kind of ruined the immersion for me.

(01-24-2019, 04:09 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 03:25 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: The Saint was criminally underrated. It's simplicity is what makes it great. And don't get me started on The Ghost and the Darkness. I watch it whenever it's on.

Tron
Flash Gordon
Dredd (Karl Urban)
Shawshank
Escape From Alcatraz
The Eiger Sanction
The Osterman Weekend
The Untouchable
Highlander

He has a very unique and noticeable mouth and lips. His character was supposed to be a chameleon and master of disguise. That is not possible when it was instantly apparent who he was with every disguise based on this. Kind of ruined the immersion for me.

Very True. He does have a rather unique look to him. Probably why Elisabeth Shue was able to spot him so well.

Man, Elisabeth Shue. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Palmetto. That's all I am saying.

(01-24-2019, 04:09 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:

Tron
Flash Gordon
Dredd (Karl Urban)
Shawshank
Escape From Alcatraz
The Eiger Sanction
The Osterman Weekend
The Untouchable
Highlander

Know what else would have ruined immersion? Not knowing it was him when you saw a character on screen. 

Same reason he was Batman, and Michael Keaton before him. Because the kids would recognize him as both Wayne and the Knight.

(01-24-2019, 05:33 PM)hitman Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 04:09 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote: The only problem I had with The Saint was Val Kilmers face.

Know what else would have ruined immersion? Not knowing it was him when you saw a character on screen. 

Same reason he was Batman, and Michael Keaton before him. Because the kids would recognize him as both Wayne and the Knight.

Well by virtue of the fact that the camera would be following the character and we would be hearing his dialogue it would be pretty easy to deduce that the character was Kilmer. Unless the director was trying out a new avant-garde style of showing the lives of NPCs who have nothing to do with the plot during the film.

Even with that possibility, it was still a bit awkward for me to see a master of disguise look so obviously like himself and have me expect to believe he was unrecognizable to the Russian gangsters who had just saw him the scene before.

(01-24-2019, 06:58 PM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(01-24-2019, 05:33 PM)hitman Wrote: Know what else would have ruined immersion? Not knowing it was him when you saw a character on screen. 

Well by virtue of the fact that the camera would be following the character and we would be hearing his dialogue it would be pretty easy to deduce that the character was Kilmer. Unless the director was trying out a new avant-garde style of showing the lives of NPCs who have nothing to do with the plot during the film.

Even with that possibility, it was still a bit awkward for me to see a master of disguise look so obviously like himself and have me expect to believe he was unrecognizable to the Russian gangsters who had just saw him the scene before.
BLISSFULLY unaware of this POV but now that you mention it...

Reminds me of going to St. Paul Saints games or SOCOM in the summer...