Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What are you watching?

Mack and I have discussed this movie quite a bit, but I recently watched Manhunter again. If any of you have not seen it, you are missing out. Watching William Petersen break down mentally over the course of the movie as he climbed into the killer's head was fantastic to watch. Dennis Farina was, well, Dennis Farina, and it could be argued Brian Cox was the better Lecter.

Michael Mann is a genius, in case any of you didn't know. His attention to minute details and how each of them plays a significant role in his movies is easily Kubrick and Scorsese level.

Must have something to do where he comes from.

(05-01-2019, 12:34 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Mack and I have discussed this movie quite a bit, but I recently watched Manhunter again. If any of you have not seen it, you are missing out. Watching William Petersen break down mentally over the course of the movie as he climbed into the killer's head was fantastic to watch. Dennis Farina was, well, Dennis Farina, and it could be argued Brian Cox was the better Lecter.

Michael Mann is a genius, in case any of you didn't know. His attention to minute details and how each of them plays a significant role in his movies is easily Kubrick and Scorsese level.

Went down memory lane a bit and looked it up and vaguely remember bits and pieces from the early nineties when I caught part of it. Hell, don't remember much of Red Dragon though either so it isn't saying much. Brett Ratner...wasn't he the dude that ruined a bunch of shit? Makes sense seeing as he'd redo a MM film like some hack shit with Norton. 

Anyways...fuckin Farina...always a fan of his and he one of the great ones as far as character actors are concerned. While a typical typecast, he always interesting enough to me to be believable in just about anything I ever saw him in. Usually a scumbag or a cop or a scumbag cop. Think he might've even been in that movie Out of Sight with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez. Maybe the retired cop father that bought her the gun? 

While I couldn't find the movie to stream on the big 3, I am looking to sunset the DVD by mail in Netflix so I may add it to be the last few. 

What 3 DVD movies would you pick to watch before canceling Netflix?

I'm in season 3 of Bosch on Amazon Prime.

First 2 seasons had some excellent pacing. Like reading a book. Not so sure about this one, yet.

(05-01-2019, 10:17 PM)hitman Wrote: I'm in season 3 of Bosch on Amazon Prime.

First 2 seasons had some excellent pacing. Like reading a book. Not so sure about this one, yet.
Never made it past the second. I wanted to, but was lured away and didn't use Prime much these past 12 months. Our little chat about Tom Clancy has me on Jack Ryan after searching Manhunter. I know I'll be disappointed, but there will always be a few little quips and intel gadgetry banter that'll make my heart swoon, I'm sure. 

Hell, even in the pilot they're saying shit like "I heard he went all Colonel Curtis in the desert, started making S.A.D. dip the bullets in pig's blood so anyone they killed wouldn't go to paradise." and I get a little tingly. Wendell Pierce plays ops chief and speaking of great character actors, he was as solid as they came in The Wire.

(05-01-2019, 05:41 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 12:34 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Mack and I have discussed this movie quite a bit, but I recently watched Manhunter again. If any of you have not seen it, you are missing out. Watching William Petersen break down mentally over the course of the movie as he climbed into the killer's head was fantastic to watch. Dennis Farina was, well, Dennis Farina, and it could be argued Brian Cox was the better Lecter.

Went down memory lane a bit and looked it up and vaguely remember bits and pieces from the early nineties when I caught part of it. Hell, don't remember much of Red Dragon though either so it isn't saying much. Brett Ratner...wasn't he the dude that ruined a bunch of shit? Makes sense seeing as he'd redo a MM film like some hack shit with Norton. 

Anyways...fuckin Farina...always a fan of his and he one of the great ones as far as character actors are concerned. While a typical typecast, he always interesting enough to me to be believable in just about anything I ever saw him in. Usually a scumbag or a cop or a scumbag cop. Think he might've even been in that movie Out of Sight with George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez. Maybe the retired cop father that bought her the gun? 

While I couldn't find the movie to stream on the big 3, I am looking to sunset the DVD by mail in Netflix so I may add it to be the last few. 

Jesus. Not even sure i have time for this. I could literally be here forever. I'll try and go by decades and let you decide. No really sticking to genres or maybe what would even be considered good movie. Some will be good, IMO, some will be guilty pleasures.

50's - Stalag 17, Fail-Safe

60's - The Great Escape, The Birds, The Manchurian Candidate

70's - High Plains Drifter, Deer Hunter, Mean Streets, A Clockwork Orange, The French Connection, The Omen (really too many great movies to name)

80's - Manhunter, To Live and Die in LA, Raiders of the Lost Ark, 48 Hours, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Blade Runner

90's - Reservoir Dogs (FOR YOU , MACK), Seven, True Romance (Another for you, Mack) The Usual Suspects, Last of the Mohicans

Bro, for real, I think that would keep you busy, I'll just stop here. I'll throw a 2000's movie in there just because I think it's underappreciated, and that is Confidence.

(05-02-2019, 08:37 AM)SkiMask Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 10:17 PM)hitman Wrote: I'm in season 3 of Bosch on Amazon Prime.

Never made it past the second. I wanted to, but was lured away and didn't use Prime much these past 12 months. Our little chat about Tom Clancy has me on Jack Ryan after searching Manhunter. I know I'll be disappointed, but there will always be a few little quips and intel gadgetry banter that'll make my heart swoon, I'm sure. 

Hell, even in the pilot they're saying shit like "I heard he went all Colonel Curtis in the desert, started making S.A.D. dip the bullets in pig's blood so anyone they killed wouldn't go to paradise." and I get a little tingly. Wendell Pierce plays ops chief and speaking of great character actors, he was as solid as they came in The Wire.
Jack Ryan is fun. It was pretty good. You just can't compare it to the novels or you will be angry. Like American Assassin. It was a fun movie, but you can't compare it to the way Vince Flynn (RIP) wrote the Mitch Rapp character.

(05-02-2019, 09:06 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: 90's - Reservoir Dogs (FOR YOU , MACK), Seven, True Romance (Another for you, Mack) The Usual Suspects, Last of the Mohicans

Bro, for real, I think that would keep you busy, I'll just stop here. I'll throw a 2000's movie in there just because I think it's underappreciated, and that is Confidence.

(05-02-2019, 08:37 AM)SkiMask Wrote: Never made it past the second. I wanted to, but was lured away and didn't use Prime much these past 12 months. Our little chat about Tom Clancy has me on Jack Ryan after searching Manhunter. I know I'll be disappointed, but there will always be a few little quips and intel gadgetry banter that'll make my heart swoon, I'm sure. 

Jack Ryan is fun. It was pretty good. You just can't compare it to the novels or you will be angry. Like American Assassin. It was a fun movie, but you can't compare it to the way Vince Flynn (RIP) wrote the Mitch Rapp character.
How's that one about the eggplant go again? Think the brand was a Chesterfield. Makes me wanna smoke and sip on something neat...

American Assassin was one of those where I was impressed with the gloss over train to go after the bad guy bits because of how powerful the scenes were shot with the character in the beginning and it had you invested quickly into the tragedy despite having little to no information about them. Superb. Nice leap with Mr. Mom btw, I could play this game all day; consider me erect.

Slater was a true starfuck growing up; pic in a box under the stairs somewhere me smiling awkwardly with him smoking a cig ..fun fact: they were gonna name that thing "Baboon Heart" but changed it last second. I wonder if that made the trivia on IMDB?

Mr. Robot still on my hit list to complete. First season was great and I thought the funhouse ride memorizing but I may have stunna shades on when it comes to the guy. Rami not so bad, I liked him since the Pacific and Ed Burns in Confidence about as good it gets save for Hoffman actin all hard as the tough guy Tootsie in that masterpiece. 

Funny you're starting to name deployable movies or the type you can fit in a small travel sleeve and get through 6-12 months hard time in the shit on. I think about troops now and they must still have to go analog when deploying but the travel tech has to make it so much more comfortable than even 15 years ago.

(05-02-2019, 09:06 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 08:37 AM)SkiMask Wrote: Never made it past the second. I wanted to, but was lured away and didn't use Prime much these past 12 months. Our little chat about Tom Clancy has me on Jack Ryan after searching Manhunter. I know I'll be disappointed, but there will always be a few little quips and intel gadgetry banter that'll make my heart swoon, I'm sure. 

I never made it past episode 3 of Jack Ryan.

It was horrible.

I've only read 2 or 3 of the novels, but I really have enjoyed all of the prior films. The Philip Noyce movies (with Harrison Ford as Ryan) are the best, but they're all good in their own way.
Amazon's "reinvention" of Ryan and Greer sucks donkey ass.

(05-02-2019, 01:42 PM)hitman Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 09:06 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Jack Ryan is fun. It was pretty good. You just can't compare it to the novels or you will be angry. Like American Assassin. It was a fun movie, but you can't compare it to the way Vince Flynn (RIP) wrote the Mitch Rapp character.

I never made it past episode 3 of Jack Ryan.

It was horrible.

I've only read 2 or 3 of the novels, but I really have enjoyed all of the prior films. The Philip Noyce movies (with Harrison Ford as Ryan) are the best, but they're all good in their own way.

Baldwin > Ford (I actually like them both, but wish Baldwin would have continued the role)

All joking aside, I liked them all too. I even liked Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan, even though that movie was horrible.

I saw Hunt for Red October right after I read the book, and since then, every time I read a Clancy Jack Ryan novel, he was Baldwin in my head.

They were supposed to do a Cardinal of the Kremlin movie with Tom Cruise, but that got canned (thank god).

To me, Amazon's version is mindless fun, which is why I enjoyed it. I completely detached the show from anything prior and just went with it. It reminded me a lot of the early episodes of Strike Back.

(05-02-2019, 01:54 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(05-02-2019, 01:42 PM)hitman Wrote: I never made it past episode 3 of Jack Ryan.

It was horrible.

Baldwin > Ford (I actually like them both, but wish Baldwin would have continued the role)

All joking aside, I liked them all too. I even liked Ben Affleck as Jack Ryan, even though that movie was horrible.

I saw Hunt for Red October right after I read the book, and since then, every time I read a Clancy Jack Ryan novel, he was Baldwin in my head.

They were supposed to do a Cardinal of the Kremlin movie with Tom Cruise, but that got canned (thank god).

To me, Amazon's version is mindless fun, which is why I enjoyed it. I completely detached the show from anything prior and just went with it. It reminded me a lot of the early episodes of Strike Back.

I agree that Baldwin was a better Ryan than Ford. Totally. 
I read the book in high school - after seeing the movie - and still agree that Baldwin was the perfect fit. 

I like the Ford movies better, overall, because the role is multi-faceted. The family dynamic, the D.C. political games, etc. And the James Horner music was better, IMO. 

Strike Back is in a league of its own (at least, seasons 2 - 5). It's the gold standard of testosterone. Jack Ryan can't touch it.

(05-02-2019, 09:06 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 05:41 PM)SkiMask Wrote: Went down memory lane a bit and looked it up and vaguely remember bits and pieces from the early nineties when I caught part of it. Hell, don't remember much of Red Dragon though either so it isn't saying much. Brett Ratner...wasn't he the dude that ruined a bunch of shit? Makes sense seeing as he'd redo a MM film like some hack shit with Norton. 

Jesus. Not even sure i have time for this. I could literally be here forever. I'll try and go by decades and let you decide. No really sticking to genres or maybe what would even be considered good movie. Some will be good, IMO, some will be guilty pleasures.

50's - Stalag 17, Fail-Safe

60's - The Great Escape, The Birds, The Manchurian Candidate

70's - High Plains Drifter, Deer Hunter, Mean Streets, A Clockwork Orange, The French Connection, The Omen (really too many great movies to name)

80's - Manhunter, To Live and Die in LA, Raiders of the Lost Ark, 48 Hours, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Blade Runner

90's - Reservoir Dogs (FOR YOU , MACK), Seven, True Romance (Another for you, Mack) The Usual Suspects, Last of the Mohicans

Those 80s selections are nothing more than a high level troll. 

>picks Bladerunner
>doesnt say Theatrical version or Directors Cut

Nicely played. You almost had me.