Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Pron

I actually think Papa Johns is pretty good

(02-01-2020, 04:56 AM)dizee Wrote: I actually think Papa Johns is pretty good
I bet you do. Use that garlic sauce for dipping too? What are you supposed to do with that pepperocini anyways? Nothing worse than cold Papa John's and we've never lived close enough to one for it ever to make sense so I've always had it by way of some 3rd party. Them new folded things look kinda good though tbh.

Might as well share how the other day we came into these couple of top sirloins wrapped with a slice of bacon. Didn't know what to do with them because I've never had a pleasant experience cooking tall pieces of beef so I decided to try Jung's reverse sear method and just spanked them babies with salt and pepper little Montreal seasoning for mine and seared them in the cast iron 3 minutes a side and guesstimated 350 for about 15 minutes.

Simply exceptional.

(03-11-2020, 09:27 AM)SkiMask Wrote:
(02-01-2020, 04:56 AM)dizee Wrote: I actually think Papa Johns is pretty good
I bet you do. Use that garlic sauce for dipping too? What are you supposed to do with that pepperocini anyways? Nothing worse than cold Papa John's and we've never lived close enough to one for it ever to make sense so I've always had it by way of some 3rd party. Them new folded things look kinda good though tbh.

Might as well share how the other day we came into these couple of top sirloins wrapped with a slice of bacon. Didn't know what to do with them because I've never had a pleasant experience cooking tall pieces of beef so I decided to try Jung's reverse sear method and just spanked them babies with salt and pepper little Montreal seasoning for mine and seared them in the cast iron 3 minutes a side and guesstimated 350 for about 15 minutes.

Simply exceptional.
Papa John's sauce is pure garbage sugar, but I do love the garlic butter. if I had to pick one of those trash pizza joints pies, it would be little Caesars, but I only allow it in my house if my daughter wants it. Otherwise, there are tons of great pizza joints out here to choose from.

So Ski, when you did that reverse sear, did you cook it in the oven first, or sear it? Curious because of the way you described your steps. 

Try this (not saying you did anything wrong; just throwing you another way to do it)...

Preheat oven to 200, nice and low if you don't mind waiting or 325 if you are impatient.

Make sure that steak is dry and nail it with S and P on all sides. put it on a wire rack over a baking sheet and cook until 125 internal temp. at 200 it takes about 40 minutes. Either way, if you are impatient and want to up the temp a bit, the IT is really what you are concerned with.

Heat 2-3tbsp canola in a cast iron pan on high heat until it starts to smoke. Drop the steak in and sear for one minute and flip. Add 2 tbsp butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme to taste, and get it all over the pan, then baste your steak on that side for one minute. Flip again and baste on the other side for about 20 seconds. Pull it, let it rest for a couple minutes and enjoy.

I tinkered with the basic way to do it. This way is better than my old way, IMO. 

Glad I was able to introduce you to a great way to eat a steak. As the weather warms up, I'll be doing reverse sears with my smoker and transfer it inside to finish it off.

(03-12-2020, 11:13 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Papa John's sauce is pure garbage sugar, but I do love the garlic butter. if I had to pick one of those trash pizza joints pies, it would be little Caesars, but I only allow it in my house if my daughter wants it. Otherwise, there are tons of great pizza joints out here to choose from.

So Ski, when you did that reverse sear, did you cook it in the oven first, or sear it? Curious because of the way you described your steps. 

Try this (not saying you did anything wrong; just throwing you another way to do it)...

Preheat oven to 200, nice and low if you don't mind waiting or 325 if you are impatient.

Make sure that steak is dry and nail it with S and P on all sides. put it on a wire rack over a baking sheet and cook until 125 internal temp. at 200 it takes about 40 minutes. Either way, if you are impatient and want to up the temp a bit, the IT is really what you are concerned with.

Heat 2-3tbsp canola in a cast iron pan on high heat until it starts to smoke. Drop the steak in and sear for one minute and flip. Add 2 tbsp butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme to taste, and get it all over the pan, then baste your steak on that side for one minute. Flip again and baste on the other side for about 20 seconds. Pull it, let it rest for a couple minutes and enjoy.

I tinkered with the basic way to do it. This way is better than my old way, IMO. 

Glad I was able to introduce you to a great way to eat a steak. As the weather warms up, I'll be doing reverse sears with my smoker and transfer it inside to finish it off.
dude your right and figured I had it right! 

Now I'm gonna try it this other way and see what's what. Either way, you gave me the confidence to just whip something together and not labor over it so much as I am just getting down to basics.

Sometimes you just have to let go.

(03-12-2020, 01:14 PM)SkiMask Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 11:13 AM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Papa John's sauce is pure garbage sugar, but I do love the garlic butter. if I had to pick one of those trash pizza joints pies, it would be little Caesars, but I only allow it in my house if my daughter wants it. Otherwise, there are tons of great pizza joints out here to choose from.

dude your right and figured I had it right! 

Now I'm gonna try it this other way and see what's what. Either way, you gave me the confidence to just whip something together and not labor over it so much as I am just getting down to basics.

Sometimes you just have to let go.
 You did nothing wrong bro. That is also a great way to cook a steak. Pan sear then in a hot oven is pretty legit steakhouse style. Try the true reverse sear though, and tell me how you feel about it. Follow the instructions I laid out. And MAKE ABSOLUTLEY SURE you pay attention to the internal temp of that steak when you pull it out the oven.

I have one of those thermometers on a wire and you just set the IT you want and an alarm goes off on the digital reader that is outside the oven, you just close the door on the wire. One of those products when you get it your like I should of gotten one of these years ago. One of my favorite cooking items TBH.

(03-13-2020, 02:14 AM)Buchanans Wrote: I have one of those thermometers on a wire and you just set the IT you want and an alarm goes off on the digital reader that is outside the oven, you just close the door on the wire. One of those products when you get it your like I should of gotten one of these years ago. One of my favorite cooking items TBH.
Agreed!!! I have a sticker burner offset smoker, and the thermometer that are on the door catch the heat at the top of the cook chamber, so it's not an exact reading of where your food is. I use two of those wire probe jobs to catch the temp at cooking grate level, and it turns out to be a good 40 degree difference, which if you are smoking, is a HUGE difference. those things have been my life saver. Then I use an insta read pen thermometer to get IT for the meats. All of which are great tools to have.

(03-13-2020, 04:12 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 02:14 AM)Buchanans Wrote: I have one of those thermometers on a wire and you just set the IT you want and an alarm goes off on the digital reader that is outside the oven, you just close the door on the wire. One of those products when you get it your like I should of gotten one of these years ago. One of my favorite cooking items TBH.
Agreed!!! I have a sticker burner offset smoker, and the thermometer that are on the door catch the heat at the top of the cook chamber, so it's not an exact reading of where your food is. I use two of those wire probe jobs to catch the temp at cooking grate level, and it turns out to be a good 40 degree difference, which if you are smoking, is a HUGE difference. those things have been my life saver. Then I use an insta read pen thermometer to get IT for the meats. All of which are great tools to have.

>Not knowing internal temp simply by pushing on the meat
>Giving a shit what the internal temperture of beef is in the first place
>Not ever experiencing the joy of shoving your head into the carcass of a dead deer on the side of the road and chewing hunks of meat from the bones saving youself the hassle of cooking dinner when you get home

You people make me sick.

(03-14-2020, 12:33 AM)MACK IS GOD Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 04:12 PM)Junglist Tactikz Wrote: Agreed!!! I have a sticker burner offset smoker, and the thermometer that are on the door catch the heat at the top of the cook chamber, so it's not an exact reading of where your food is. I use two of those wire probe jobs to catch the temp at cooking grate level, and it turns out to be a good 40 degree difference, which if you are smoking, is a HUGE difference. those things have been my life saver. Then I use an insta read pen thermometer to get IT for the meats. All of which are great tools to have.

>Not knowing internal temp simply by pushing on the meat
>Giving a shit what the internal temperture of beef is in the first place
>Not ever experiencing the joy of shoving your head into the carcass of a dead deer on the side of the road and chewing hunks of meat from the bones saving youself the hassle of cooking dinner when you get home

You people make me sick.
LMAO!!! A lot easier to get a proper thumb pad feel reading on a 12oz steak than a 17lb brisket. Cooking legit BBQ is all about reaching temps, which then lead into your next steps. And even then it's not exact, but it helps. Brisket is done at 205 IT, though the meat thermometer needs to go in resistance free. Last Brisket (which was also my FIRST Brisket) I cooked I actually took up to 210 because it was resisting the probe. Pork Shoulder I cook till 165, then wrap until 195. Ribs I do 3-2-1 with spares, 3-1-1 with baby backs. That system works perfectly. I'm sure the better I get at doing the larger cuts, the more I will know how to do it by feel. Not everyone is Aaron Franklin.

Also, *temperature, *yourself.
And Jesus I called my smoker a Sticker Burner and not a Stick Burner. That's a self correction, so you get NOTHING!